Play In Rear Wheel Bearing - How Much?

Straight Six

I'm setting up the rear wheel bearings on my MkII Vitesse. I've been through all the pain & grief of assembling the hubs, checking the play with a DTI then adding/removing shims as necessary, and I thought I'd got it about right.

However, with the rear suspension back together, when I check the play at each rear wheel, the movement seems rather excessive.I reckon about 1/32", although it's hard to be accurate.

How much play is acceptable? Barely perceptible or a little more than that?

If its only 1/32" when you rock the Wheel at the rim I would say thats acceptable

If its 1/32" endfloat movement in/out on the bearings, then its definetly not acceptable!

I had similar trouble when I rebuilt the rear hubs on my Mk2 Vitesse, had to strip them down twice to get it right.

Even now I have got similar play on the wheel rim to what you have stated on my car.

I thought I might have trouble with the M.O.T. Test but its passed 4 years running now.

I suppose it will come down to the individual M.O.T. Tester, but there must be a bit of play or you end up ruining the bearings!

It might be worth taking it for the M.O.T. Test before you strip it all down again? Its a horrid time consuming job as you well know :(

Regards

Gary    

Richard_B wrote:

It's quite easy if you have CV's  :P

Mr Smug.... :P  Even easier with the R100 version - bearings preset  :)  No detectable play in them. (mr Smug 2).

1/32" at the wheel rim should be ok.  Mine have more than that now (still on Triumph bearings at this point) and at the last MoT - I had concerns but no comment passed and they run cool.

NIck

Richard_B wrote:

It's quite easy if you have CV's  :P

The reason the hubs were stripped down in the first place was because I am fitting CV joints. (Mr. Smug 3) ;D

Last night I discovered that with the CV conversion it is relativley easy to change the number of shims in the rear hub  without actually removing the drive shaft. Doing it this way makes it easier to check end float as well.

Anyway, thanks for the re-assurance guys. It looks like Cinderella can go to the ball after all. Or at least, I can go to Stoneliegh in the Triumph.  :)

Archived