Removing rear hubs

Ron

Hi,

My Haynes manual says that it's virtually impossible to remove the hubs to replace bearings without taking the half shaft and hub completely off the car. This seems a bit excessive but is it correct?

Rimmer Bros advertise a rear Triumph hub puller for over £100, which again seems a little excessive since most people will only use it once or twice during the life of the car (or do bearings wear out much quicker than that?)

Will a standard hub puller that you can get from Halfords do the job equally as well?

No. Beg, borrow, steal...or purchase a proper hub puller, often available used or new for much less than the price you quoted. The proper puller will (99.44% of the time) make an easy job of removing the hub. The wrong puller often will -- likely as not -- cause frustration and expensive damage.

I recently refurbished a pair of apparently good halfshafts with new UJs, ready for an ongoing project. When I applied a coat of fresh paint, the bend in the flange on one shaft became apparent. All the telltale signs of it being previously removed with the wrong type of puller. No way was that one going to run true, a waste of effort and a new UJ.

Cheers,
Bill.

If you can find a square sided puller it's even better as you can put the puller in a vice easily, use a long n strong breaker bar nd jobs a good un.

But as others have said, take it off the car - after all, it's only 7bolts, a brake hose and handbrake cable. Best to leave the shock and trailing arm on the car end, just make it a little easier to handle.

I did not buy a puller to do mine,I paid one of the garages on here to pull them apart
it was cheaper than a puller and it was done right ! Like you said at start
if you are only going to use it once why buy one ! I paid to have bothe sides done
still a dam site cheaper and the wife is not moaning about "more crap"that I've been buying

Ron Tssc members price from Tssc shop is£ 65.95 inlvat +postage

hubs either come off using the wheel as a slide  hammer ( nuts just on a few threads then whack wheel up studs )

or it wont budge without extreme force ,

keep the nut on to protect the soft thread .
the real thing is a tough bit of kit , some guy managed to strip ours , but repaired with new bolt,  

and your a long way off to borrow it  

Pete

Archived