Leaf spring eye polybushes

molten

Hello
Received new poly bushes for leaf spring eyes today but having some real difficulty fitting them.
Here is a pic of the bare eye...

Here one with bush in (but not sitting exactly where i want it)

When I try to press the metal insert into the bush, the bush seems to stretch/swell out the opposite end by about 10mm. Its as if the eye is to tight for the bush
The bare eyes have a thin tube inset into the eye. Would removing this be detrimental?

Thanks to any who can help

Hello
Its is swing spring.
The 2nd picture above is prior to fitting insert. When I fit the insert, the bulging on the left becomes very swelled/streched until there is about 10-12 mm protruding when insert is flush with pring eye.
No matter how i approach it - same effect.
I thought about boiling the bush in water to see if it softens enough to insert more quickly than 'fairy liquid method.

willows40 wrote:
the metal in the eye on the 1st photo is part of the old bush and needs to be removed before fitting the new bush.

andy

Andy
Thats exactly what I was hoping was the case. It would certainly explain why the bush feels very tight.
Any idea how to remove this?
Cheers
scott

Slightly off topic.
Can I risk getting shot down and ask a question that has been festering since I got my MkIV.
The long studs that hold the spring to the diff – they are screwed into holes that open into the diff’’, are they not.
Well as they have to be removed during spring removal, could they be replaced with say a headed long bolt and locking washer?  I was wondering if this might be beneficial.

8)

Yes!
But:
You must be very sure about the length, as the holes go right through and too long a bolt will foul the diff gears.
With no studs in the diff, centering the spring on the holes  may be difficult.  Long studs can be a help in this way.
The additional friction of the turning bolt in the spring leaves, plus spacer if fitted may mean that the bolt is not tightened correctly.

John

2597 wrote:
Cheers Gents

One way or another, they will somehow be removed tomorrow

Wohooh - success ;D
Hack saw blade & folded the cut edges inwards, tapped outt with a socket.
New polybush went in no problem.
Because I also put in a new polybush pad under leaf clamp, it was awkward to compress the dense new polybush. But a couple of g-clamps and peice of wood got it.
Thanks for the help fellas
Scott

Archived