Alex

On my mk2 the Tr6 wheels are a touch close to the arch.
If I could find some mk1 arms how much further in would that take the wheels?
It'd be nice to get about 1/2inch per side is that likely?

What else would I need? I have some superflex bushes and springs to fit so it'd be nice to solve the clearence issue at the same time.

Currently they dont touch but they are very close :-/

Cheers Alex

Yes indeed you could... you might need the shorter drive shafts too... am not sure if that would be an issue or not (you need to use longer ones... for the wider arms)

I might be giving my Mk1 arms away after I swap for Mk2 items - but might keep them just-in-case.

http://www.t2000register.org.uk/original_site/thecars/carspecs.htm

Looks like it's about 60mm - 30mm each side - so just over an inch inwards for you.

Mk1:      1280 mm
Mk2 (-74):      1342 mm
Mk2 (74-):      1346 mm

Hello Alex,

I feel that going to the narrower track is a retrograde step,

If you are unhappy with the clearance, why not adjust the rear arch a little, bear in mind the flange is about 1\2" which could be folded upwards, or is that not the closest point? What size tyres do you have by the way?

Alec

Hi Alec,
The arch is folded :-/

Its the offset of the wheels that make it so close :)

To be honest the difference in track I'd loose w :)ould be negligible compared to what the offset of the wheels gains.

I've fitted 195 60 15's I should have gone for 185's but to late now! ;D

Alex

Just checked the track width on my car and at the bottom of the tyre it measure 1520mm.
Obviously the bottom is out a little further but not 150mm :P

Where can I get some mk1 arms and stuff(stuff is the word I use when I dont know what else I need ;))

Cheers
Alex

Wow, they are a tight fit!

Are mk1 and 2 suspension arms the same, or is it just that on mk1s, the pivot points on the subframes are further inboard?

You should phone Chris Witor for a chat about this, he sells kits which alter the camber change of the rear suspension although I think they’re more for stopping the rear wheels splaying out at the bottom on very low cars.   If you are achieving a wider track by using wheels with a different offset then you’ll currently be exaggerating the effects of this camber change.

If the tyres dont touch the wheelarch i would not worry..my own PI MK2 is running 205 section tyres but they have never touched in 50,000 hard miles ,just make sure all your bushes are in good nick and subframe bolts  ETC are kept tight and torqued up correctly. IF you still crave the clearance then fit MK1 trailing arms/shorter outer part of the driveshaft from a MK1...talk to IAN at Triumphland /Doncaster.

ferny wrote:
I didn't think they rubbed. If they don't then why worry?

Most of the time they dont but I have noticed a couple of times that if going up a very steep hill nearby they seem to rub on acceleration.This is with just me and one other in the car,on the Rbrr theres going to be 3 of us.

I dont want to change the trailing arm bushes and then find it still does it although the stiffer springs may prove to be the answer.
But if its all going to be off I just wonder if I should just change the arms anyway?

Anyone got any arms and shafts they dont need? :-/

Cheers Alex

Archived