GT6 rear trailing arm polybushes

mikeyb

Took one of the rear trailing arms off the GT6 today, the plan being to polybush it.

At the large (forwards) end, the old metalastik bush would appear to have been formed inside a metal ring which then pushed inside the arm.  There is no such ring with the poly replacement bush.  Looking at the arm now with all the remains of the old bush removed, I am concerned that what is left is very thin. This leads me to wonder if the ring surrounding the metalistik bush adds to the strength of the arm.  Therefore if I fit a polybush without such a ring, will the arm end up weaker?

Any ideas?

Options as I can see are

1) Fit polybush I have and hope for the best (not convinced!)
2) source replacement polybush formed in ring as per original (if such exists)
3) source and fit original rubber type metalastik bush (maybe available in uprated rubber)
4) fit Spitfire trailing arm instead which has smaller bush and eye both ends

Who's done this before, which did you do?

Anyone know why GT6's had a larger eye and bush at the forward ends of the rear trailing arms?

Cheers

Mike

When I did mine I didn't realise the bush had an outer metal ring, it was so well attached to the trailing arm I assumed it was part of it. Obviously no amount of squeezing the red one piece polybush would get it into the hole, so after a lot of swearing my Father in law popped it on his lathe turned down the bush outside diameter to enable it to fit. I assumed the bush had been made incorrectly and that was why it didn't fit but it all becomes clear now. Anyway I wasn't entirely convinced turning poly urethane was a good idea, I've kept a close eye on it for the last few years, probably been on for five years now two rbrr's and many thousand miles and it still seems fine. Bit late for you to go down that route now though.

Mike,

I would go for a set of adjustable radius arms from Jigsaw, I think Canleys may make them as well. Basically they are shorter versions of the mk2 suspension ones that GT6 mk2 and early 3 have with different geometry.

they are made for Spits, but I see no reason why they could not fit a mk1 GT6-I could be wrong though!

Here's an excerpt from their internet page:

Adjustable Rear Radius Arms, pair
for the Spitfire Mk1, 2, 3, 4 and 1500 models
made from solid rod which is machined and threaded to tolerance, with left hand and right hand threaded portion, centred with a left hand/right hand adjuster complete with lock nuts.
Spitfire Rear Adjustable Radius ArmsTo ease the enablement of the adjustment of the rear toe when aligning your car, more infinitely adjustable than just shims especially if the heel board of the car has been repaired.
Will accept standard rubber road bushes or up-rated Polybush units in both red or blue
Available for Spitfire Mk1,2,3 or 4 (Short drive shaft)
or Spitfire 1500 (Long drive shaft)
£ 118.00 per pair

http://www.jigsawracingservices.co.uk/development.htm

You know what you are talking about, I know too, but these components are usuallly referred to as "radius arms".

In a Trailing arm suspension the similar component would be much more substantial, more like a fore-and-aft wishbone, often that takes the strain of a coil spring.

John

Slightly different radius arms on a mk2 to a mk1 or late mk3. Mk2/mk3 early have threaded adjusters, wheras the others are adjusted for length by the use of shims.

I have been thinking about this and I always thought that the late mk3 had the big bush, wheras the GT6 mk1 had the same size bush as the Spit/Herald/Vitesse (6 or mk1) at both ends?

If fitting polybushes, I would fit red as I think the stiffer bush helps to keep the geometry in check, not as much deflection.

Well I'm learning something every day - I had always thought that the bigger bushes must have been a upgrade for the more powerful cars!  It seems that actually the opposite is the case!

Whilst googling I came across some interesting stuff here.

http://www.wolfitt.com/wolfitt_products_1.htm#Adjustable%20rear%20radius%20arms

Scrolling down the page, the adjustable vertical links are something I have never heard of before....

I thought the big bush was needed for the extra torque of the 6 cylinder lump, but once they put rotoflex on, the lower wishbone handled the umph so normal small bushes could be used, when they went to swing spring they went back to the big bush. I'm sure the bean counters would have used the spitfire arms/bushes if they were thought to be up to the job.

I've done some googling, and the general consensus seems to be that the bigger GT6 bushes (in standard form) lead to soggier handling, so maybe they were designed for comfort rather than performance!

Then what Richard said "I recall that one of the tuning mods for a Gt6 was to fit Spitfire tie-rods"  may well be correct.

We need slimboyfat or someone else in the know to corroborate this!