restoring leather steering wheel?

mpbarrett

I am sure someone has done this before.....
I have got hold of an old leather covered Triumph steering wheel which I think is from a Vitesse. The leather is in good condition, not cut or damaged, but very dirty. Any suggestions on the best way to clean restore it. I am assuming that it is leather....

Also the centre of the wheel has that sort of cracked paint finish (similar to MGB dashboards) can you get hold of some thing similar?

cheers
mike

Mike,
When I was in my teens I used to have lots of mini's and usually the old mountney steering wheels.

After a few weeks the wheels were allways looking grubby being a mechanic I would allways jump in and nip somewhere without cleaning my hands.

I used to just get some warm soapy water and a rag and wipe them clean.
Dry them off, then I had some leather cream (can't remember the name now as age is against me) wiped that on them, and they were like new.

You can get lots of different leather restore creams nowadays!  ;D my wife uses some good ones for her horse saddles, but they hum a bit, would not be pleasant in the confines of a car.
Search on the net for leather restoring creams.

1218 wrote:
Sorry to hijack but I have a NOS wheel for my Herald, unfortunately it has storage damage, chips/scratches etc, has anyone had any experience of repainting a steering wheel?  If so, what paint is best please?

Mark

I`m sure I `v`e seen a renovation kit in something like Frosts catalogue or similar . Its bespoke to steering wheel repair

1218 wrote:
Sorry to hijack but I have a NOS wheel for my Herald, unfortunately it has storage damage, chips/scratches etc, has anyone had any experience of repainting a steering wheel?  If so, what paint is best please?

The paint applied at the factory was nothing special, which is why new ones are so often chipped,
I've refurbished black ones using aerosol Smoothrite, while for the grey ones I've used Phantom Grey cellulose in an aerosol, as for all the other interior bits. Both have worn just fine, with the caveat that the Smoothrite was done 15+ years ago and I believe the formula has since changed,

Cheers,
Bill.

I have used hot soapy water to clean the leather first and then as Sheepy suggests I have used a leather feeder..........................even can use baby oul (no comments please) as this makes the leather supple.

Frosts do a "Crackle" paint and I have used this on PI plenum to replicate factory finish.

http://www.frost.co.uk/automotive-paint/wrinkle-paint/wrinkle-finish-paint-aerosol.html