Steering wheel removal

mazfg

I can't remember the size, but I have used a slightly larger metric 6 point socket (27mm rings a bell, but that is my iffy memory).
Once the nut is off, put it back on so that all thrads on the nut are just on the column. Then sit and pull on the wheel, wiggle it a bit. A good whack with a hammer (soft faced good idea, or a bit of hardwood in there) while pulling may be needed. You then find out why the nut wants to be on the column ;)

1 1/16" socket for the Herald, and lightly - LIGHTLY! - tap the steering wheel from behind as you gently try to pull it upwards. Use too much force and it'll hit you square in the forehead. A two or three legged puller with the legs covered to prevent damage works for me.

Thanks guys, borrowed a 1 1/16" skt from work, unscrewed and popped off nice n easy with a little wiggle.

Removed the boss with stalks/ wiring etc, needs a good old cleanup and re-spray and some attention on the switches too. The  steering column bush...has worn down to simple a white piece of nylon....no rubber on it whatsoever....new one of those required for sure!

Archived