Uprated suspension

sam93

Hi, everyone !

I want to change my front shock absorbers as part of the rework that I'm doing at the moment.
I currently have shortened & stiffer springs.

So then what's the best brand of shocks to go with, Spax, GAZ or Koni ?

The ones I like at the moment are the ride height adjustable GAZ, however where is the cheapest place to get them from ?

Lastly, would it be wise to change the rear shocks aswell ?

Cheers !
Sam.

The old chestnut...
Koni are the best. Simple.
however, they are not height adjustable, and you cannot adjust the damping on them without taking them off the car. However, as far as quality/longevity is concerned......

Oh, and rears are not as fussy, so a pair of quality non-adjustables will probably be fine. common error is to have strong shocks fitted at th erear, makes the handling "exciting" on roads, never tried it on track though.

I agree with cliftyhanger. In my experience Koni shock absorbers work well. I have had yellow adjustable ones fitted to many of my road cars including a Lancia Delta integrale evoluzione a Renaultsport Ciio 172 and now the 405 Mi16.

Having said that, our Vitesse is fitted with AVO adjustable shocks all round. At the front the shocks are integrated coilover units with uprated springs and, in the rear, telescopic-conversion units are fitted. They were fitted by Jigsaw Racing Services when the car was restored. Adjustment is easy via a 15mm knurled knob fitted towards the base of each shock. There are something like 15 click-able positions, so it took me a little while to work out which setting suited our requirements (remember: tyre pressure and shock adjustment works in combo). The only problem I've had is a minor leak on one of the rear units. I replaced the pair to keep them matched.

Archived