Herald Front Suspension Height

Wheelman

Hi, can anyone tell me what the unloaded ride height should be for the front suspension on a 13/60 convertible? I have recently rebuilt the offside suspension, replacing all the wishbone bushes, the trunnion housing bushes, the top ball joint and the shock absorber, but reused the spring. I have done this on a budget, and have used 'standard' parts from the well known suppliers. Now that I have re-assembled the suspension assembly, refitted the road wheel and lowered to the ground, I have noticed that on the nearside which I have not touched, that the upper ball joint is marginally lower than the upper wishbone pivot centres (wishbone end slopes away from the chassis member), whereas, the offside ball joint is marginally higher than the upper wishbone pivot centres (wishbone end slopes to the chassis member). The spring seat on the replacement shock absorber is about the same height as the old shock absorber.  I have not yet torqued up the wishbone bushes yet, as I believe this should be done with the car loaded.

Wheelman,
"The spring seat on the replacement shock absorber is about the same height as the old shock absorber."

That's the critical bit.  Many shockers are sold as' for Herald' when the spring seat is in fact too high.  Can't remember now what the exact height should be, but as you have only worked on one side, carefully measure the height of the seat above the eye on t'other and compare.  Suspension geometry will exaggerate the difference significantly.  Or sercah here, it's an old chestnut!

John