Rear suspension torque access?

Nilfisken

Maybe a weird subject name but couldn't come up with anything better :)

Here's the situation: Yesterday I refreshed some parts of the rear suspension and brakes on my 1500, mainly a completely busted trunnion (they were as horrible to remove as people say, had to saw through three bolts and bull the whole driveshaft out for access...). For now I have only tightened the bolts down enough so that things should stay in place and let the car down on the driveway and rolled it back and forwards a bit to settle it. Today I planned to apply the proper torque to bolts only to find that I haven't got a chance to fit the torque wrench with the car on ground. I have seen some suggestions on a another method and just want to hear what you think.

Could I put it back on jack stands and then lift the suspension up to normal ride height by using a trolley jack under the link, take the wheel off and then tighten al of the bolts? I can't see how I ever gonna reach all bolts without getting more clearance :(

Cheers!

You could rehearse:

Put a similar-sized bolt in something immobile, & get it with a torque wrench to the appropriate torque.

Then put the wrench you'll be using on the car on it & give it a bit more, to get a feel of what it will feel like at the appropriate torque on the car.

3182 wrote:
Could I put it back on jack stands and then lift the suspension up to normal ride height by using a trolley jack under the link, take the wheel off and then tighten al of the bolts?
That's exactly what I've been doing for the past 40 years or so that I've been messing with these cars! Works a treat, as they say....  ;D

Thanks for your input everyone! Hopefully I can get this sorted tomorrow night, soon ready for a test drive after some serious work, spent 20 hours under the car this weekend so looking forward to at least a few behind the wheel for a change :)

Archived