Gt6 Suspension Turrets

Jimmmy0_0

Ok so tonight I was trial fitting the 2.5pi engine in the gt6 and it looks like the engine is angled over to the l\h side. Also the engine is tilted by about 3 degs to the left to.

The turrets look to be different angles where the engine mounts bolt on. The turrets were from my gt6 so should be right, I also brought some other gt6 turrets last year and there the same. On my mk1 gt6 the turrets look to be at the same angles.

Are the the gt6 mk1, mk2 and mk3 turrents all the same?

Does anyone have pictures of the turrets from the front?

Should the engine be tilted over a little bit?

I will try and take some pictures tomorrow.

Thanks James

Jimmmy0_0 wrote:
Ok so tonight I was trial fitting the 2.5pi engine in the gt6 and it looks like the engine is angled over to the l\h side. Also the engine is tilted by about 3 degs to the left to.

The turrets look to be different angles where the engine mounts bolt on. The turrets were from my gt6 so should be right, I also brought some other gt6 turrets last year and there the same. On my mk1 gt6 the turrets look to be at the same angles.

Are the the gt6 mk1, mk2 and mk3 turrents all the same?

Does anyone have pictures of the turrets from the front?

Should the engine be tilted over a little bit?

I will try and take some pictures tomorrow.

Thanks James

Are you sure it's not just an optical ilusion.
As far as I know all Gt6 turrets should be the same, are you certain somone has'nt fitted a Spitfire item on one side.
Check for shims under the engine mounts these can alter the angle of the engine, you may want to remove these to lower the engine a bit anyway.

There was shims on the rh side which would have made it higher so I removed them and put them on the lh side and its still not looking right.

I wasn't sure if it was an optical ilusion so Richard B popped over and confirmed that the turrets are different, but why would I have two sets of turrets that look the same and are both from different gt6's?

It's definately the turrets and not the engine mounts?
As mentioned, the spit turrets def have a different angle, although this is not easy to spot unless you have them side by side, but you'd be unlucky to get TWO odd pairs.

Spitfire engine mounts are lower, GT6, Herald and Vitesse all use the higher mountings. A LH spit turret would make the engine lean to that side, if you're sure the turrets aren';t from a Spitfire, then the problem lies elsewhere.

What gearbox are you using? The Saloon engines always lean to the left by design, but different mounting points are used in that application. The gearbox though sits upright in the saloon, I assume this is accomplished through a specific engine backplate - could this have a bearing on your leaning engine?

Cheers,
Bill.

The turrets are different and I have not checked the lh one as I though the rh one was the problem. I will check it tonight.

Bill the gearbox is an 1850 dolly box, using the gt6 bellhousing and engine back plate.

I forgot to say that the engine has been moved back, by mounting the engine mount on the backside of the mounting flange with the original spacer block between the turret flange and mount.

I think that make sense.

heraldcoupe wrote:
The gearbox though sits upright in the saloon, I assume this is accomplished through a specific engine backplate

Bill the gearbox in a big saloon lies to the right as does the engine.

When fitted in a Gt6 (engine vertical) the gearbox sits square.

Gt6s wrote:
The gearbox in a big saloon lies to the right as does the engine.

The Saloon gearbox has an adapter plate  for the mount to twist the unit relative to the shell. Someday I might move the battery into the boot and mount an engine & box vertical al la TR6. and use a Stag gearbox mount!

ps TR6 and Saloon use the same engine backplates. I think it's the three engine studs at the top of the block that would prevent correcting this in a Saloon as the gearbox bellhousing is common all applications.

(If that makes sense)  :-/  

Richard_B wrote:

Someday I might move the battery into the boot and mount an engine & box vertical al la TR6. and use a Stag gearbox mount!

I already have the battery in the boot, no battery tray  and such an arrangement would allow longer ram pipes for the PI and more room for a cold air box   8) 8) Must get the measuring stick out and have a tinker

Richard_B wrote:

Someday I might move the battery into the boot and mount an engine & box vertical al la TR6. and use a Stag gearbox mount,

Dont forget to use a Gt6 / Vitesse or TR dipstick in the engine as Big T item will then read the oil level wrong.

I know! I have brought this up before but it's easily overlooked.

Yup looks like you have 2 different turrets.

From looking at those pics I suspect it to be the right hand one is Spitfire. (Right hand on car not right hand in photos) Look at the angle of the bracket compared to the mounting they do not match.
Also one turret has a kink in bracket the other is straight, the straight one I suspect is Gt6. I dont recall ever seeing that kink on a Gt6 turret.
Will compair the two tomorrow for you

FOR GAWDS SAKE MAN CUT THOSE FRONT MOUNTING BRACKETS OFF !

Gt6s wrote:
Yup looks like you have 2 different turrets.

From looking at those pics I suspect it to be the right hand one is Spitfire. (Right hand on car not right hand in photos) Look at the angle of the bracket compared to the mounting they do not match.
Also one turret has a kink in bracket the other is straight, the straight one I suspect is Gt6. I dont recall ever seeing that kink on a Gt6 turret.
Will compair the two tomorrow for you.

I WAS WRONG, ( okay I admit it, I do remember being wrong once before )

The turret on the RH of your Gt6 is correct the one with the kink in the mount plate, the other is Spitfire (LH on your car).
Today I checked both my Gt6's, my 2.5 sixfire and two spare sets of Gt6 turrets and all have the kink in the mounting plate
( I hope I do'nt find myself in a position where I need both sets of spare turrets )
I also checked a set of Spitfire turrets, on those the mounting plate is flat as your LH one.

Archived