GT6 suspension upgrade

Hugh

Hey Tim ( bestquality03) I had alook at the PRI website and I now know where you are comming from it's the dogs and this is to be my winter project on old 63. I like the lower wishbone setup I have but I want to get rid of the rotoflex and rear spring arm and go over to a CV and semi IRS setup with rear discs.

Tim , Hugh, been looking at that pic,

and to be honest with you, I cant see how it can work any better,  :-/

it has no lower arms ,[ that i can see ] so the camber change will  still be there, :-/

and still relies on a radius arm, so the tracking will alter with  bump / rebound,  :-/

unless Im missing some thing

and 800 £ ish for 2 arms and 2 shockers, !!!!!

Marcus

796 wrote:
Tim , Hugh, been looking at that pic,

and to be honest with you, I cant see how it can work any better,  :-/

it has no lower arms , [ that i can see ] so the camber change will  still be there, :-/

and still relies on a radius arm, so the tracking will alter with  bump / rebound,  :-/

unless Im missing some thing

and 800 £ ish for 2 arms and 2 shockers, !!!!!

Marcus
I know but my rotoflex has lower wishbones so a system like the one in the picture plus my rotoflex lower wishbones should be a good setup what do you think. But I agree £800 is a bit much

Richard_B wrote:
Go CV, keep your existing setup, fit the CC aluminium lower wishbone to improve the unsprung weight.

Lot's cheaper. Have you got Koni's and polyurathane bushes?
Got poly bushes what's a cheap cv route to go maybe not of the shelf but one I can put together my self. Why keep the spring it's so hevey and dated.

What is pictured there is a swing-axle (Spitfire/Herald/GT6 & Vit Mk1) with a link arm replacing the leaf spring and coil over shock in the original damper position.  Not sure what PRI say the benefits are but in my opinion it is a DOWNGRADE from even the original swing axle set-up.

Two main reasons:
1. The old leaf spring is a pretty stiff old thing when it comes to locating the wheel  forwards/backwards.  the new link arm has to have a joint and inner and outer ends.  Any play at the inner end (and I include the compliance of even quite a stiff polybush in this) will be amplified at the outer end so wheel location will be worse than before.  This is the exact opposite of what is needed.

2. The old leaf spring has a rising rate (gets stiffer the more it is compressed as more leaves come into play) which is just what you want.  The coil over is mounted at an angle which will become steeper as the suspension compresses giving a falling spring rate.

There are several better ways to improve your swing arm rear end, most of which will cost alot less than that kit.  If you really want coil overs on the rear then remove a few of the leaves from the standard spring and fit the coil-overs as well.....

As for converting to that from rotoflex....... that really is going backwards.  Just don't do it....... if you hate the rotoflex couplings themselves that much then convert to CV shafts (whichever variety you like  :P) - will cost alot less than the PRI kit, even if you add a pair of Koni dampers and set of polybushes into the mix.

You should also read some of the American Triumph forums before attempting a business transaction with that company - no personal experience so that's all I'm going to say......

Nick

Edit: and if anyone does want to move away from the roto-rear, I'm interested in your vertical links :-))

Nick I find your comments very intresting are you saying that you prefer rotoflex setup I don't dislike it I just have had a lot of trouble with the rear shocks the rear has very little give or movement. I have checked everything and all seems ok but the shocks are very close to the vertical link mounts bolt head and I think they somtimes catch on them.
Hugh

Hugh and I are not going to use the PRI setup.  I am in the process of designing a system that is a combination of the PRI style upper wishbones and rotoflex lower arms from CC with a coil spring and damper.  The PRI system fitted to the swing spring is a waste of time because it still uses the solid drive shaft so doesn't get rid of the camber change issues.  I was going to use Hugh's car as a prototype as he has rotoflex already.  I was also going to make him change to CV'S using your adapters NICK ;)  We will then have the hub machined to take the MGF wheel bearing.  I will have the top wish bones made at work from aero grade aluminum rectangle box section.  I don't know what type of bush we wil be using just yet.  The swing spring is crap!  When i jack the rear end of mine and put a wheel brace on the wheel studs the suspension flexes al over the place.  It just isn't braced enough!!  It needs a lower wishbone!  Marcus PM me with your ideas

908 wrote:
Hey Tim ( bestquality03) I had alook at the PRI website and I now know where you are comming from it's the dogs and this is to be my winter project on old 63. I like the lower wishbone setup I have but I want to get rid of the rotoflex and rear spring arm and go over to a CV and semi IRS setup with rear discs.
I should correct myself I just want to get rid of the rotoflex rubber couplings and keep the rest as Tim says we are to use my car as the prototype  Tim I still like the look of this swing arm in alloy as per our converation last week

Roto rear gives far better control over camber and track changes compared to swing axle, having driven both hard I much prefer the roto.

Roto down sides are greater weight (both sprung and unsprung) and often highish friction in the trunions which doesn't help grip on bumpy surfaces.  CV conversions help the weight a bit and careful building prevents the friction issue.

Yes, you can get progressive wound coil springs.  Are you going to beef up the chassis around the damper mounts?  Cars actual weight is taken by the 4 diff mounts in standard form, two of which are well forward and attached to the main rails.....

Worth looking at MGTF rear vertical links if considering major changes.

Cheers

Nick

339 wrote:

I don't think anybody said anything about buying anything from PRI.

No, although some earlier posts did look a bit that way  :)  Doesn't do any harm to have a warning on the same page as their pretty pic though - SpitVX' comment ties in well with other comments read about them.

Nick

No problem ,
just hate to see others taken for a ride .
Be interesting to read theoretical opinions on Jangos set up , not being a suspension wizard I will have to play it safe and wait to see the proof of the pudding .
Wishing him well because it is SO GOOD to see people making a serious move on a significant improvement spit/gt6 wise .
Personaly gone the Canley CV /ally / coil over route till Jangos proves as good as it looks .

matgt6 wrote:
No problem ,
just hate to see others taken for a ride .
Be interesting to read theoretical opinions on Jangos set up , not being a suspension wizard I will have to play it safe and wait to see the proof of the pudding .
Wishing him well because it is SO GOOD to see people making a serious move on a significant improvement spit/gt6 wise .
Personaly gone the Canley CV /ally / coil over route till Jangos proves as good as it looks .
I may well look at the alloy lower wishbones though anything to get rid of weight

Archived