GT6 suspension problems

TimW

Hi All
Drivers side front ride height is lower than the three other courners.  I adjusted the offending AVO by about 5mm and it's still the same.  If i put a spirit level accross the underside of the hinge boxes it's half a bubble out.  The rear is all new bar the spring so no seized trunnion

Richard_B wrote:
Bent anti-roll bar?

Try disconnecting it from the lower wishbones and see how it then sits?

O.K. will do.  I have undone the "U" clamp nuts to try and release the pressure from the chassis.  maybe i'll just take it off and see how it looks.  

Thanks Richard

Tim you will find that most smaller roll bars are bent, !!!!

or the rear spring is weak on yan side,,  

or you no got the trunnions wound fully home,

or one front spring is weaker than the other,

but more likely, the chassis is  like a ..nice boy, ..  

so only way oot, is to wind the shocks up

regards  Marcus

796 wrote:
Tim you will find that most smaller roll bars are bent, !!!!

or the rear spring is weak on yan side,,  

or you no got the trunnions wound fully home,

or one front spring is weaker than the other,

but more likely, the chassis is  like a ..nice boy, ..  

so only way oot, is to wind the shocks up

regards  Marcus

Thanks marcus
I have the larger roll bar
don't know how to check rear spring
I'll check the trunnions on all 4 corners tommorrow
front springs bought from Jigsaw and are about 3 years old done maybe 1000 miles most
Chassis was put on the jig at the body shop and checked when it went for paint  it was O.K.
I did wind the drivers shock up today and it made no difference to the ride height
I am a bit stuck with it at the mo so i will have a look at the points you and richard have made
Thanks

Tim , jack the font up, and put the wheels off the ground,

but mek sure that the height is the same at both sides, and in the same spot,  [ two bricks , axle stands ]

then go to the back, jack it up right under the diff,

right int middle, put a thin bit of wood on the jack, so it will be able to ..rock central,..

and then look at measureing the distances  frae the ground , to selected points,

[ if its out , it will show on jacking, as one wheel will be touching the grun, whent  other is off, wobble spring to ..centralise.. , as it may well stick to yan side,]

thing is, determining, which end is  a ..nice boy..

Marcus

If its a swing spring on the rear, it won't be causing this problem as it has near zero roll stiffness.

What happens if you measure from a flat floor to the bottom of the chassis between the front wishbones?  (Bit foxed by this "half bubble" business) - If you can wind the offending side up by 5mm with no effect there is something strange going on  :-/

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:
If its a swing spring on the rear, it won't be causing this problem as it has near zero roll stiffness.

What happens if you measure from a flat floor to the bottom of the chassis between the front wishbones?  (Bit foxed by this "half bubble" business) - If you can wind the offending side up by 5mm with no effect there is something strange going on  :-/

Nick

Nick
Measurement from floor to chassis is about the same both sides.  spirit level across the hinge boxes and the "BUBBLE" in the spirit level is not between the 2 centre lines it's half a bubble out IE. The bubble is half way across one black line.  measure from floor to hinge boxes and the dims are different.  i am going for an unofficial CT area meet in Bridgenorth tommorrow maybe a couple of guys will have a look for me.  The car is swing spring

Well if the chassis is the same height on both sides, surely the car is level?  If the bonnet is higher on one side for some reason that is another issue surely?  My bonnet is higher on the offside as the bonnet tube is not as straight as it should be - been like that for 20 years - Ill sort it one day  :P

Nick

Archived