Brake and Suspension Upgrades

Jonny-Jimbo

Hi all,

Following on from fitting the new exhaust manifold to my Mk1, I'm also thinking of upgrading the suspension and brakes on the car too.

Again, are there any pitfalls of the following;

About a year ago I replaced all the dampers with new KYB units from CW. But the springs looked okay. However, I'm thinking of fitting the progressive wound springs on the front, and something of similar ilk on the rear. Most of the car is poly-bushed too. I presume that these are a good enough fit that they can be fitted 'as per book', and don't need any fettling?

The other upgrade is changing to Mk2 front brakes, as the Mk1 ones currently on the car are shagged - not much meat on the pad and the discs are on the way out too.

So, to upgrade to Mk2 brakes, I'll need the mk2 hub, discs (obviously), and pads. Will I also need to change the brake pipes, or are the threads the same on the Mk2 calipers? Finally, over the top of all this, will the TR6 steels sit over the top of them without an issue?

Jonny,

If you look back through this board for topics started by me, I have had a couple of threads before xmas on similar topic?

To recap what I think I learnt - better dampers, I went the Koni route front and back (rears from Mr Shackford)
Full polybush - you seem to have that covered.
Better springs - I was likewise looking at Progs for the front, and possibly 625lbers from Mr Shackford for the rear if he still has them. I don't run an arb however, that may make a difference. I have seen some guys running progs all round I think??

If back end is lowered too much then maybe you will need some camber adjusters, CW has them in two sizes?

Brakes - I went the Stag route, I might suggest better pads than stock however with whatever route you choose? I was intending Mintex 1144's myself.

Cheers,

Phil

Quoted from thebrookster
Jonny,

Brakes - I went the Stag route, I might suggest better pads than stock however with whatever route you choose? I was intending Mintex 1144's myself.

Cheers,

Phil

Sorry for the slight thread drift, but can I ask a question about the Stag setup Phil… what parts did you need to use to make them fit? I've got some refurbed Stag calipers for my MkII, but not sure exactly what else I need. Obviously discs, then backing plate, but what else? And will my existing braided hoses fit, or do they need swapping as well?

Cheers,
Matt

Matt - I am afraid I am of no use to you here, Nick's capable hands will be of more use!

As it currently stands my stag setup is sat in the shed of a fellow club member, along with some other bits and pieces!
Not only that, but I have managed to score the entire front end near enough of a stag, so my conversion will be essentially pre-assembled and fitted as a job lot with any luck!

Phil

Mine was a Mk2.  Earlier Mk1s with the thin discs will need the hubs as well.

There are (or should be) shims between the flange on the bottom of the strut and the stub axle carrier which set the camber.  They are not very obvious and like to stick to one half or the other and then fall off when you aren't looking....

Nick

Oh no, I found the shims, I have a copy of the blue 2000 workshop manual so I saw they were in there... What I didn't realise is that the position of them is important in terms of going on the fore or aft bolt. So I think during all this and doing the brakes etc I may strip it all apart and try to reset it.

Probably a silly question, but has your ride height raised with the new dampers? From what I've seen of my front suspension those shims cant really adjust the camber that much as everything in there is too stiff, as in to many or too little shims and it just wouldnt go together.
Also another possible silly question but have you driven it since refitting the dampers. You always get a lot of positive camber when the car has been raised then lowered until you drive it or at least turn the wheels hard each way a few times.
Cheers

Yes, it has a bit, but I think that is also down to the fact the old top mounts had collapsed too - this was what lead me to stripping the car in the first place actually. But they were replaced with good second hand ones, and the new dampers installed.

Yeah, I have driven the car, probably about 1500 - 2000 miles, and although it has settled a bit, it's not as much as I thought it would have been.