benjib

Ive got a really wandery feel in my 2l mk2.  I know the steering rack is well worn and I'm about to sort that, and I know the tyres are probably a bit squashy but when I had the rear wheels off in the summer I noticed that the rotoflex doughnuts are looking a bit cracked and crazed.  What with limited technical knowledge and a new baby I'm not going to do this job myself so I'm going to get it done by a professional, however stick with the doughnuts or take the plunge and go for the canley classics cv options?  I don't know about costs yet but I'm interested by any opinions or experiences that people have.  I'm going to wait until the steering rack is done and I'm happy with tyre pressures but just planning ahead.
Cheers for your thoughts,
Ben

My first thought.........
check the steering column joint (it joins the column to the rack) they are often sqidgy, replacements last as little as a few months. I strongly recommend the solid UJ versions sold by some suppliers.

as to rotoflexes. Proper rubber doughnuts are expensive, the repro ones don't last terribly well if driven at all hard. The labour isn't cheap though, so the canley conversion may be the best option if you are intending to keep the vehicle. (I have the  Nick Jones conversion, a bit cheaper but more involved)