GT6 Mk.3 Rotoflex or non-Rotoflex?

markcro

GT6 Mk.3 Rotoflex or non-Rotoflex?  Which is the prefered model? And why did they drop the Rotoflex setup? Is the non-Rotoflex rear set up on the last of the Mk.3s as good as the Rotoflex setup, or is this just cheaping out and going back to the issues of the Mk.1?

There are 2 types of non-rotoflex rear suspension, so 3 types in all:
1.  Swing axle (on the first GT6's)
2.  Rotoflex (on the Mk2/+ & early Mk3's)
3.  Swing spring (on the late Mk3's)

The design of the swing spring is similar, but still different from the swing axle; & the swing spring is a great improvement over the swing axle.
The rotoflex design was dropped for manufacturing cost reasons.
The early swing axle can fairly easily be fitted with the swing spring for improvement.
The rotoflex design seems to be considered the best of the three, but the swing spring is not bad.

I should add here that the rotoflex setup is much heavier than the swingspring. Saying that I have fitted (CV jointed) rotoflex to my spitfire project, in the vain hope it will improve the handling a bit. However, the swingspring does work very well indeed, a vast improvement over the early swing-axle setup.
Overall I reckon rotoflex is better, but weigh it up against increased complexity/maintenance/costs