Getting the GT6 body off (Rotoflex)

Nick Jackson (2)

I've got all of the body bolts out of the car, removed the steering column, rear exhaust mounting, engine ancilliaries and am just left with the dampers to do (I think!).  

It's a Mk2 Rotoflex so the damper is attached to the body.  What's the quickest/easiest way to disconnect the dampers?   I don't fancy taking the whole brake/suspension setup off, not least because I don't have any special tools to hand (e.g. spring compressor).

The body needs to be at the bodyshop next week so I'd really like to lift the body this weekend.

Thanks in anticipation.

Don't forget the handbrake cable....... or the fuel lines, or the exhaust.  Could be the odd stray wire and hydraulic pipe as well.  If you get the body off at first lift without finding anything still linking them you've done very well  ;D

Nick

I got the dampers off okay then noticed the radius arms seemed to be attached to the back of the heel board.  Due to the angle of brackey and nut I've disconnect these at the wheel end.

I picked up on Nick Jones point about the handbrake cable but the manual says disconnect at the compensator pin.  I think that's the bit at the rear where the cable goes off to each wheel.  Very inaccessible!  I'll try that tomorrow.

Apart from the handbrake cable I did a final check around the body and found a bolt I'd missed.  Unfortunately its a heavily rusted one under the master cylinder and through the bulkhead bracket.  I've now managed to chamfer the bolt head so am quitely fuming.  I don't have many options now. :'(    I may have to sacrifice the bracket and cut the bl##dy thing off.  

Hmmm, I think you mean the one in the engine bay behind the wheel? With a bit of care it should be possible to fit a hacksaw blade into the gap between the bracket and chassis, without damaging either. It'll no doubt take a while, but so would replacing the bracket later.

Destroying the bolt head with a drill might also work, as would attacking the nut underneath. One of those nut-splitters (quiet at the back) would make short work of it.

Did you find the bolts underneath the rear parcel shelf/seat? It took an age to find them on my Mk3 as they were hidden beneath a layer of bitumen. Ultimately they were the only things holding the body on!

Thanks for the tips.  I'd really like to get the job done this weekend!

Quote:
Did you find the bolts underneath the rear parcel shelf/seat?

Will have to do some more searching.   The manual didn't seem to mention the radius arms when talking about removing the body, so more hidden fixings wouldn't surprise me.  

Nick

I finally got the offending bolt out but not without damaging the bracket it's bolted through.   As the bolt and bracket was rusty anyway I suppose it was no great loss except the brackets aren't freely available.  

The body is now lifting at each end but I need some helpers to lift it off and get it down to the bodyshop.  

The only problem now is that the handbrake cables have been disconnected at the rear wheels, as I couldn't get to the compensator pin in the middle of the car. Some how I'll have to deal with that as the body is lifted.

Nick

Archived