The dreaded Rotoflex endfloat!

hypoid53

Well I am temporarily stumped. I thought I was doing everything by the book and double checking everything but the goalposts seem to be moving as I try to solve the problem.
I originally set the bearings up, off the car, using a DTI, to achieve a nominal 5 thou end-float. Fair enough. But when fitted to the car the MoT man remarked on the excessive end float!!
So, gritting my teeth I removed the assembly. Now all the experts say to reduce end-float, remove shims. The shims as fitted added up to 0.159" so I reduced them to 0.149". Guess what-still plenty of end float.
Must be doing something fundamentally wrong here, so, going back to basics I fitted an average spacer size of 0.152". Now it is showing pre-load! My churchill hub puller has been very busy today so I can only assume the outer shaft is not seating consistantly even though I torqued up to 115f t lbs before each measurement.
Sheer frustration has made me stop for today.
Any useful experiences from someone who has had a similar problem?

End float should be max 0.002". 0.005" is too much. Also and more importantly, you need to ensure the technique you use when measuring the end float is done with the hub bearing(s) assy clamped. If you look at my thread on Mk3 spit rebuild, I included a photo description of the method I used.

A good nights rest and the problem, hopefully, resolved. I had fitted new hubs and they are a very tight fit on the splined outer shaft. Taking it off 10 times or so has had the effect of pre-loading the outer bearing. Hence the wacky inconsistent readings. The WSM warns against this, but my opinion is it will work its way to this position on the road anyway! So with 0.147" of spacer and 3 thou of shim it now has 2 thou of play measured with a DTI. What this will translate to with the wheel fitted remains to be seen. After this I then have the other side to do. Thank goodness I have the special tools....and the time!
The overall design of these hubs is very poor considering the loading they have to handle.
I can understand why people are converting to MGF hubs and CV's.
Just a minor point: where does the 2 thou end float measurement come from. The WSM clearly states 5 to 28 thou end float? (Too much I agree).
Canley and some of the American sites all quote 2 thou so is this the result of actual observation as opposed to Triumph dictat?

Well done on getting the first side done. Ref the 0.002" end float spec, I canvassed a number of suppliers and the folks on this forum and that was the overall concensus. Also Canleys, who know their Triumph stuff, referred this spec so if good enough for them then it was well good enough for me.

Archived