Rotoflex Shafts + Bearings

tiggrr1

Is there any way to easily grease a rotoflex wheel bearing or does it require a full stripdown?

Going on the RBRR tomorrow and I have again got a clicking on the nearside rear of the car at low speed 15 mph or less on over run/trailing throttle.

I had the same noise but much louder two weeks ago and changed both driveshaft U/J's. That did appear to cure it but out getting some odds and sods for the RBRR today and it has started again. :(

Not as loud as before and only at low speed, before it was even at high speed on over run. ie, decelerating on a slip road.

Unfortunatlly you need to take the halfshaft off the car before you can remove and replace the hub to get at the bearing

I made the mistake of removing the hub with everything in place once and wrecked an outer halfshaft trying to wind the hub back on with the nut and stripping the thread.

CharlieB wrote:
It may still be the UJs, how stiff were they once fitted? You could try fitting some oversize circlips (from the usual suppliers) unless you have already.

They were fairly tight in one plane but not in the other. so that is a distinct possibility as it seems to click about once every revolution.
It was not so slack as to have any discernable freeplay but has probably settled?

Oh well to late now I'll just have to see if we get all the way round ;)

Just been down to work and had it up on the ramp.
Found the Rotoflex coupling bolts working loose.
It was that causing the clicking sound.
All is now fixed and a short test drive later I'm happy that it's OK :)

Better that it was today than over the weekend ;D

Archived