Gearbox Rear Extension - Non O/D

sam93

Hello all,

Having issues refitting the rear extension back onto the gearbox casing. I've taken some measurements & the counter shaft seems to be too far back. I've got 35mm sticking out the back of the casing, but the recession which the counter shaft slots into in the rear extension only measures 25mm. I've tried tapping the counter shaft forwards, however no joy. So I then took the top of the gearbox to see if there was anything obviously out of place, but I could see much. I've still got the gearbox fitted to the car.

What am I overlooking ?

Thanks in advance,
Sam.

Locating the countershaft in both ends of the casing can be a sod of a job even with the box out on the bench.
The shaft goes through the back of the case, a "washer", the lay cluster, another "washer", then the front of the case.

Getting it back through with the 'box still in the motor would be tricky, you'd need to find a way to lift the front end of the shaft.
The only way to do it I can think of would be to take the top off the box and try and get something like a length of mig wire under/around the  front of the lay cluster, lift, hope it all lines up and then push the counter shaft from the back.

When all's said and done, you might find it less time and effort to get the 'box out, remove the bell housing and do it that way?

Took the box out this afternoon, removed the bellhousing & found that the countershaft had been pulled back abit. Thankfully it was still holding onto the washer at the front, so a little bit of poking with a few screw drivers I managed to get the washer back where it should be, then tap the counter shaft forward as required. The rear extension is now refitted & I've continued rebuilding the box with the new gaskets I ordered. However I've run into a new issue which I could use some advice on.

When refitting the top cover as per the manual it says to select first gear, place into position and put the setscrews in. That's all well and good but firstly when I removed the top cover I can't recall selecting first gear, I just wiggled it untill it came off. Secondly I can get the top cover located correctly using their method, however I can only jiggle it in / out of first gear. I can't select any other gears. What am I missing / not doing.

Note the following, I've not disturbed anything other than the countershaft & the mainshaft rotates freely with the cover removed. When fitted it rotates but makes a clunking sound, so something isn't quite lining up but what ?