WIMPUS

Well today got the carpet out and the tunnel because the carpet needs to be fixed.

So found out where all the oil was coming from.
This evening, everything back in only not the carpet ..

Driving along and i can hear a wining noise  :o
The same in all gears , clutch pressed in or not makes no difference.
Only under load it's worse .. So i think a bearing  :-/  :o

Noise i can hear from coming out of the gear lever ..
When i touched the gear lever the noise does change a bit.

Anyone got an idea ?  :-/

yeah, must be that it insulates very well !
But such a big noise now and when you press on to 3000/4000 rpm it's even getting worse!

Someone told me it can be because the gearbox becomes a bit worn after all these years.

but i find it strange that i no suddenly hear it at the gear lever.
i've been driving without a rubber gaiter around the gear lever for over a year and with holes in the vinyl/leather gaiter on the carpet..
So normally i could have hear it then also.

They do whine a bit as you go up through the revs (both mine have done) I'd see if you can get an "old person" (somebody with plenty old car experience) to listen to it....see if they think it's a problem.

If it is a problem, disconnect the prop shaft and use a large(massive) screwdriver to listen to the box to see if you can identify the source.
Be careful of the output flange spinning though.

It's possible that the selector/synchro is rubbing, so touching/moving the stick causes the noise to change.

JohnD wrote:
First, simplest and cheapest is to renew all the links in the gear stick remote.
Just take the remote assembly off the top of the gear box, and use the replacement kit available  from several suppliers.

John

Not seen that for a 1500 single rail gearbox, i think they only existed for the 3-rail gearboxes ..

Filled up the oil lever  because it was a bit low and then gone for a drive.
I've put a rag round the gear lever and no noise then, so it will be gone with the carpet it seems..

but got 2 times a blown fuse, no gauges anymore and no O/D then, seems to work fine now again (need to look at the wires of the O/D ! - Wiring harness is new )

AH!
O/d switch in gear knob?

Technology in those days was not what it is now and the hole up the inside of the stick, to carry the wirtes to the switch, is very narrow bore.  So narrow that it couldn't take two wires insulated with the usual plastic cover.  So Triumph used varnished wire.    Eventually the varnish wears off and they short circuit, to each other or the stick.  The result is a blown fuse, that happens to be the same fuse that the fuel and temp gauges use as well, of course, as the O/d!

New wires needed.    You can get varnished wire, but no idea of its quality.    Can't remember what insulated wire I used, or you could use a steering column mounted switch in Herald (?) or Vitesse-style. or one on the wheel, like mine.

Ah! 1500 Spits, what do I know of them?
But could you need this "unobtainable" part?
http://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500-gear-lever

John

JohnD wrote:
AH!
O/d switch in gear knob?

Technology in those days was not what it is now and the hole up the inside of the stick, to carry the wirtes to the switch, is very narrow bore.  So narrow that it couldn't take two wires insulated with the usual plastic cover.  So Triumph used varnished wire.    Eventually the varnish wears off and they short circuit, to each other or the stick.  The result is a blown fuse, that happens to be the same fuse that the fuel and temp gauges use as well, of course, as the O/d!

New wires needed.    You can get varnished wire, but no idea of its quality.    Can't remember what insulated wire I used, or you could use a steering column mounted switch in Herald (?) or Vitesse-style. or one on the wheel, like mine.

Ah! 1500 Spits, what do I know of them?
But could you need this "unobtainable" part?
http://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500-gear-lever

John

I think i know where they short out, so going to try and have a look.
At the switch i already used heatshrink on the connectors so they can't touch the metal part  ;)

I do like the switch on the gear lever, my friend his mg has it at the steering wheel and i just hated it when i needed to drive that car (also because it's the same stalk as the wipers .. :o )

Think i best need to buy a new wire for the gear lever/switch, it's still the original, all the test of OD harness is new.
I think it sorted at the gearbox, 1 connector is a bit wrong at the new harness, if you push in the bullet connector you can't push it in fully.. so when it touches somewhere ...  :B
Maybe some more heatshrink around that and then it's insulated.

The shame is that the new harness , the wires that goes to the switch wires are very short ..
You nearly can't get to them when you remove the gaiter (and i've got small hands)  :o

Will see tomorrow ! ;)

Another question..

I first  used 80W90 GL4 valvoline oil in the gearbox/OD but now it's changed to another brand (need to ask ), but my friend uses it in his Stag without problems.

Now been looking and found this ..
Has used once millers oil and was very happy with it, need to buy some for the next oil change !
Now on the site it says it's also recommended for cars with overdrives...

Anyone know something about this oil? good or not ?