Overdrive refit - how annoying?

yorkshire_spam

If the splines are out of line in the overdrive....then it will not drop in
Stand it up and shine torch in or use bore scope and see if they are lined up
Of not use long thin screwdrivers and ....hold the splines nearest to you so they dont move, then turn the farest away splines ...anti clockwise. they are the ones that move very freely
They should line up pretty easy then

Sam if your feeling strong,

Line it up in the position that you are going to fit it.

Can you fit your spare shaft to the OD unit and then remove the shaft when the OD is orientated in the correct position for fitting.

Then just plop it onto the main shaft on the gearbox giving the prop shaft flange a twist as you lower it to help the splines line up.

Had another go at it - I don't think the tip on the mainshaft is entering the bearing at the back of the OD properly - I mic'd the tips on the old vs new shafts and the old is slightly smaller diameter, so I guess either the tip is too big, or it's not aligning as it goes in.... it seems to be going up the splines though.
Help?!

If your sure the splines have lined up it may be time for a little gentle persuasion, the last inch or so was tight on my OD.

It practically fell on the first time but when I got my NOS Volvo 27% OD the last bit was tight.

A little bit of reading here      http://gtsixing.blogspot.co.uk/

although it won't tell you how to get the last bit engaged  :B

• 1 month later...

Back in the 70s and 80s when we were working on Triumphs,ex works WCR cars all the big Tiumphs and Stags,we came to the conclusion very quickly that the blunt end of the mainshaft was the problem that moved the two sets of splines out of kilter,so using an angle grinder cut the lead in on the mainshaft so that it is not a blunt end,this worked every time and those times were many even replacing OD units with the box still in place on the vehicle