overdrive issues

Felix

Just had simular to this happening on my 2nd hand D Type after new cone clutch was fitted. I have cured it by adjusting the operating solinoid in a different way to stated in the book. My lever lined up ok so a drill could be passed through however this meant the solinoid was pulling the operating valve to far. I found a article that said just feel the spring tension on the operating valve lever and set the solinoid for lever adjustment of 1.5 -2mm from that point. Mine was over 3mm and reducing it to around 1.7mm cured my sticking overdrive.
Other thing to check would be operating valve is clean as the pressure needs to bleed back down through it. otherwise maybe the release springs have lost tension but that requires a strip down. Good luck

Thanks for the advice.

I took the car out today, armed with a hammer, but the overdrive worked fine. However after a few miles in 4th with the overdrive engaged, there was a distinctive electrical burning smell. After I got it home, I noticed that the solenoid was hot to touch (no surprise there) but when I tested the overdrive switch in 3rd with ignition on, the solenoid was moving slightly then getting stuck. It wouldn't return to its original position. A tap on the overdrive housing released it, but when o/d switched again, it would stick. I'm guessing this is definitely a sign that I need a new J Type solenoid.

So, does anyone know where I can get a Laycock Type J solenoid? Canleys are out of stock.

thanks again!

felix