Overdrive breather cleaning

MikeTeesside

Hey again, I've been fixing the leaks I have on my Type D Overdrive and gearbox. Mostly the usual suspects like the output flange seal and the speedo drive seal/o-ring, but also noticed a lot of old oil around the breather hole. Pretty much looks like it was vomiting oil in a cone out from the hole.

From reading up I've heard failing seals and the purging from the breather means it's possibly partially blocked. I just wanted to ask how to remove it since the workshop manual doesn't seem to cover this and is rather vague. Once I get it out I can clean it up and pop it back in.

It looks like it just pulls out but I don't want to go yanking on it if it's actually held in by something else.

d type is just an open breather, just a hole at 90 deg to the threaded part.
I  had some over spill and ended up fitting a  tubed extention with an adaptor screwed  in   .  so any loss  is well away from frying on the exhaust,  there's no volume of leak , just a continuous trace.

having kept a good eye on oil levels and chats to the OD people there's no real reason why any internal splash migrates out of this simple breather .

Pete