Spitfire Mk3 Overdrive Switch

Jonny-Jimbo

Hi all,

I fitted an overdrive switch to a Mk3 Spitfire at the weekend, and the guy I did it for isn't entirely happy with the on/off position.

Basically, when the OD is off the switch is up, and then when the switch is down it is on. Is this the conventional way round, and if not how do you swap it round? In my head you can't as there's only two wires, so it doesn't matter which way round you wire the switch in, it will still only be on or off in the same position.

The switch is currently to the right of the column, switching between around 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock position.

Thanks, Jon

Hi,
The home fuse box convention derives from way back when open knife switches were common. These were always installed with on in the up position because they then couldn't fall into the on position. If the handle dropped, it dropped the switch into the off position.
                                                                                         Cheers,
                                                                                         Paul