Mk4 Spit fuse upgrades - further recommendations

hyperhale

Having had an issue with corroded connectors at the back of the original fuse box I decided to upgrade to provide increased protection.

Many may shun the idea as it is not in keeping with the original spec but I am more concerned about safety and relaibility on the road.

Looking for any further recommendations if I have overlooked anything here, this is what I have done to date...

Extended wiring from original fuse box location into 2 6 way Durite fuse boxes - all circuits tested and fused appropriately.

Fitted Durite fuse box at the solenoid to protected the wiring loom run before it enters the fuse boxes (35A fuses on ignition,lighting and fuse box perm live)  

Fused and fitted relays to headlights low beam / high beam circuits.

Replaced original horn relay.

Does anyone have any additional suggetions?

Did a very similar mod when I rebuilt my GT6. I used a 10 way blade fuse box which is mounted on the A post in the passenger foot well. An additional 4 way fuse box by the starter solenoid to feed cooling fan (when fitted) head lights and front driving lights (when Fitted) A relay box is mounted in the front chassis cross member . So no high current switching through column switches and circuits fused at sensible levels. Pics on my website.

Chris

I've done a fuse box mod also.
I wanted that nearly all the fuses where at 1 space and not hanging around everywhere & also wanted to add some things..
So cut the old fuse box off and fitted a 2 x 6 blade fuse box in there.

Had 2 spares fuses, but not it's all full.
Only my headlight have extra fuses in the bonnet & have 1 fuse hanging behind the cigarette lighter.

But do have 2 x 8 blade fuse boxes in the shed, just need to find time to do it all..  :B

4526 wrote:
I've done a fuse box mod also.
I wanted that nearly all the fuses where at 1 space and not hanging around everywhere & also wanted to add some things..
So cut the old fuse box off and fitted a 2 x 6 blade fuse box in there.

Had 2 spares fuses, but not it's all full.
Only my headlight have extra fuses in the bonnet & have 1 fuse hanging behind the cigarette lighter.

But do have 2 x 8 blade fuse boxes in the shed, just need to find time to do it all..  :B

Found an old pic of then i just installed my fuse box (my car had still the previous color by then).

I protected all the switches with fuses, moved all the high current stuff to relays and separated all the circuits (you know how Triumph had several wires into one fuse crimp) to individual fuses.

What I *didn't* do was buy one of those modular fuse & relay kits - wish I had because the fuse & relay box I made is ENORMOUS and takes up most of the passenger parcel shelf. The shell was being painted at the time so I didn't realise how small the available space was!

Here's my schematic - Red_Spit_Wiring+Fusing.pdf - not suggesting you copy it but might give you some ideas.

Richard

Baz, it's a Corsa-C EPS with a home-made box of tricks to wake it up. I was going to make it speed sensitive but find it isn't really necessary - I still will one day! It's worth it on a 6-pot Spit (fast rack, small steering wheel) for a 7-stone weakling like me but I think it may add a certain "vagueness".

Richard