Stuck Rear Trunion Bolts

redhouse53

From the wishbone reference I assume rotoflex rear?

Stuck bolts are common and difficult to deal with.  They rust inside the crush tubes of the trunnions and also into the vertical link itself.

Heat is good - serious, oxyacetylene type heat.  One of the problems is that you really want the wishbone out of the way but that means sawing the bolt off and loosing the head or even anything more that a short stump of bolt to work with.  If you can persuade the bolt to turn in the VL by application of heat and a big spanner on the bolt head whilst the wishbone is still in place then that is a the best way forward.  You can then saw off the bolt between wishbone and VL and bash out the remains.

I've done lots of these, unfortunately without a gas axe.  My method is to saw the bolt off between wishbone and VL at the end with the head (don't saw the VL or wishbone!), then cook out the plastic bushes at the other end.  You can usually persuade the wishbone off then.  Next I grind off the crush tube and weld a big nut on the end of the bolt, nice and hot.  Then try to turn it/bash it simultaneously.  Sometimes I get lucky..... sometimes (more often) I don't.  Key is, don't snap it off!  Next I drill a few small holes (4mm say) radially through the tube section of the VL, just into the bolt.  I then squirt plenty of Plus Gas (WD40 waste of time) into these holes and walk away.  Keep dosing at intervals (days/weeks) and try twisting/bashing.  Most come out eventually.
I've drilled 3 or 4 now.  It can be done...... even with a hand-drill not at all fun though!  Weld up the small holes after.

One consolation:  Stuck bolts mean the hole isn't oversize/oval, which is another common problem!

Don't bother with the radius arm bracket bolt unless it or the bracket are unusable - it's even longer and even worse!

Good luck!

Nick

Thanks Nick,

here's what I started with,

unfortunately, I'de made a start before reading your post and steamed in and cut the wishbone free, leaving the remains of the bolt in the verticle link.Mainly because you can see the head of the bolt was no use

I only did this on one side and took both over to my friend who has an oxy kit, the side with the intact bolt came out eventually, but the cut side wouldn't budge.

I then resorted to plan B, and decided to try drilling. This didn't end well and now I need a new verticle link, D'oh!

In hindsight I should have left the parts on the car and brought the heat to the car, never mind, you live and learn.....

what ye mean , a new link,!!!
if its gone bigger, or gone thru side, can weld up,or drill oot to bigger size.
mine are 15 mm bolt now.

and when putting back together, drill holes into all bushes,right thru to bolt, and fit oil / grease nipples,
a quick squirt now and then, and they never seize.
here some idea of what I on a  boot.
put a scroll on too, so oil can flow as bolt is turned

to get the shocker bolt out, or the whisbone,  I put in press,or vice, and heat up, red, this frees it off.

lack of maintainance soon sees them stuck solid.
and if ye got acces to a small lthe, forget about the standard seals, total crap.
make some out of nylon bar, turned into flat washers wid groves cut oot for O ring sealing.
sealed off with some stainless bigg washers to clamp em all togitha

M