Fitting rear poly trunions

yorkshire_spam

Poly bushes (polyurethane) are a popular replacement for the original metal/rubber suspension bushes.
Quite often modern pattern suspension bushes are poor quality, poly last longer and give better ride than poor rubber bushes. There's some debate as to whether or not poly are better than original OEM spec rubber/metal bushes, but one thing is for sure - poly are easier to fit and replace!
BUT beware cheap poly bushes are  the worst of the bunch - wear out fast, poor ride etc.
So if you opt for poly replacements choose a reputable brand (I always go for SuperFlex or SuperPro, but they ain't cheap!)

For the record, with regard to my original question above.... I contacted SuperFlex and got this response:
"Our PU bushes are inherently weather resistant, so require no dust shields etc"

I have mixed views on polyurethane trunnion bushes.
I've always objected on the grounds that the poly compounds used are inherently softer than the original nylon bushes, so a retrograde step in terms of precise location.
On the other hand, recent changes to the design of readily available 'original' bushes, ie a thicker inner washer to the dust shield, means the bush itself is clamped tight between the uprights, leaving 1-2mm of endfloat for the tube which 'should' be clamped tight. If the poly bushes are correctly designed so the tube is clamped while the bush pivots, then they would indeed be an improvement.

For the record, the early trunnion bushes never incorporated any shielding, this was introduced as a modification somewhere around 1964,

Cheers,
Bill.

• 2 weeks later...