Herald 12/50 gudgeon pin

Jonny-Jimbo

Hi, I've just been stripping a Herald 12/50 engine I bought to put in my 1200 Estate. I was told it had a tick, maybe a lifter. Sadly, it seems it was actually piston slap.

On removal, the piston is beyond use. The bore however has only very minor scoring, that is visible, but can't be felt with a finger nail. I think it will dingleball up okay.

However, the piston and conrod connection is very stiff, I can move it by hand, but it's not as free as I expected. However, is this normal on a 1200 as I've never stripped one before. I'm wondering if the engine got hot, seized the gudgeon pin, causing the bore wear from the piston running at the wrong angle?

Photo of piston wear for the sake of a photo.

20241011_163146.jpg

Looks like you have press-fit gudgeon pins (no circlips), they do take more effort to move when cold than the fully floating type. The pin is an interference fit with the rod (no bush), and a close fit with the piston, but the idea is that the fit with the piston will become loose once the engine heats up due to higher thermal expansion of alloy.

You could try heating the piston up in a tub of hot water and see if it floats properly. Although, I think it's unlikely the gudgeon pin fit would be to blame for the damage, looks more like oil film breakdown from overheating to my eyes.

Edited by JumpingFrog

I did think it odd too that the wear is just below the rings. I have removed the rings, and they felt right - correct sort of tension and no cracks etc.

There is scratching on the other side of the piston, but it's only on a few points, not all the way round.

I inspected everything carefully as I removed them - I've not found any lumps of metal, the oil didn't have glitter in it, and when cutting the oil filter I didn't find any debris / foreign matter.

This was no4 cylinder, which I think if often the most prone to over heating problems.

Makes sense with the gudgeon pin, so if I can find a good used piston I may slap it back in with a basic hone.

This car will only be used for a few local journeys next spring time - if I was thinking of doing RBRR etc I'd  properly rebuild the engine!

If the gudgeon pin joint is excessively stiff then it will excessively side-load the piston skirt and quite possibly produce the kind of damage shown, though I’d expect to see similar damage on both sides. It should move reasonably freely even when cold. Presumably the other three do?

Incidently, the piston diameter above the rings is slightly less than the skirt which is why there are no marks there.

Edited by Nick Jones

@Nick Jones there is similar wear to both sides of the piston.

As stated though the bore has very minor marking - commensurate with what one may expect for an engine that's doing about 50,000 miles in 50 years and never been rebuilt (mains, big ends and pistons are all std size)

The interesting thing was that the car was still driving nicely, no loss of power and was just 'ticking' a bit from the piston slapping about.

37 minutes ago, Jonny-Jimbo said:

@Nick Jones there is similar wear to both sides of the piston.

As stated though the bore has very minor marking - commensurate with what one may expect for an engine that's doing about 50,000 miles in 50 years and never been rebuilt (mains, big ends and pistons are all std size)

The interesting thing was that the car was still driving nicely, no loss of power and was just 'ticking' a bit from the piston slapping about.

At least you caught it before it let go properly and knocked a hole through the block ... 

Probably rust on the gudgeon pin from long periods stood idle. 

Possibly it was really stiff at some point and has freed off “enough” and it may well be freer when warm.

Anyway, if the bore looks good enough to hone, the main challenge is finding a good used piston of the right size letter (will be a letter stamped on the crown indicating the bore grade) to replace it with.

These old iron engines are tough and not highly stressed, so will survive things that would quickly demolish a modern engine.