Front upright/trunnion has snapped!!!

tiggrr1

Just took my GT6 out for a road test to check/bed in my brakes after polybushing the front end of the car.

Whilst giving the brake pedal some welly, thankfully at not to high a speed. (25-30mph left foot braking and throttle applied)

Must have stressed the nearside upright too much and it snapped resulting in a crunchy grinding slide towards a the kerb.

There does not seem to be too much damage at first look (underside may be a bit scraped though)

Was only half a mile away from home so the recovery service will call me 20 mins before they turn up and I can get it home.

Pics to follow.

No! but a word of caution. I had one snap on a car a few years ago. Took longer to get recovered home than to hange the thing...anyway about a year later that one snapped too. I have always wondered if there may have been a mis-alignment somewhere, never had any others break in 20 years and probably 100,000 miles.
I don't think there is much wrong with the design, have a look at the break, you can usually see a dark area where the fracture is old.

tiggrr1 wrote:
They have been lubed plenty, guess who is going to replace both of them.

Does that now make me a proper Triumph driver then ;)

Anyone got any experience of the Canley Lotus uprights?

Tim Bancroft's got a set on his GT6.

Pics as promised..................................................coz we all like piccies to look at ;)

BooHoo my poor car :(

The skidmark showing my ace control, NOT!!!  
The car took me where it wanted to go, but it has good manners and decided to park out of the way ;)

Not a pretty sight.

Still better to happen now than on an Alpine pass in September ;)

I have a set of Canleys trunnion less vert links fitted to the GT6 and have had no issues at all-been on since Jan last year.

The car is used has done a few TDs and some Autosolos plus a fair chunk of motoring on them and I see and can feel no problem.

Also fitted the big stub axle kit, again with no problem-looking at the dia, of the stub axle and decent wheel bearings I see the use of these as a no -brainer if one has to replace the stub axle. Bear in mind that the hubs have to be changed to fit the bigger bearings, these have rubber seals fitted to them.

Mine snapped on a Scimitar coupe as it uses TR6 steering. The wheel ate the plastic wing but yours looks ok. I oil my GT6 ones every six months and kept me going for 4 years so far. I don't know whether I should regrease them at any time? Perhaps I should regrease at service intervals as well as oiling otherwise mine might do the same? I noticed you had the same problem with the number plate. Where to stick it when a spoiler is fitted. Wherever you put it it doesn't look right.

KevinR wrote:

You should only use EP90 or EP 80W90 gear oil

Is there an easy way to get oil in to these? I split the Trunion and pour oil in every 6 or so months! when I screw the trunion back the oil flows out of the top and out past the seal.
I know I am putting too much oil in but rather that than too little!!!
So can I do this differently?

Rob

bobyspit wrote:

Is there an easy way to get oil in to these? I split the Trunion and pour oil in every 6 or so months! when I screw the trunion back the oil flows out of the top and out past the seal.
I know I am putting too much oil in but rather that than too little!!!
So can I do this differently?

Rob

You obviously don't have a workshop manual !!!!

There is a hole that runs up the centre of the vertical link from the bottom, and it meets up with a hole drilled in the  side of the vertical link, about 1/2" above the rubber ring.  There should be a OIL nipple fitted here - or just a bolt to seal the hole when the OIL nipple is removed.  It is item 11 in this picture.

Fit a suitable high pressure OIL gun (or grease gun* filled with oil) to the nipple and pump until clean oil overflows the top of the trunion.

*There are only a few grease guns that work well with oil - usually the Wanner ones are OK.
The TSSC shop sell an oil gun that will do the job properly (not listed on the website yet)

There is an oiling nipple port with a blanking plug on the inside of the upright, just above the oil shield.
Remove the plug, screw in a special oiling nipple and use a special piston-style oiling gun.

I could supply you with all the special parts required but remarkably you may be able to find them labelled as 'Greasing' in your local supplier.    B*gg*r, there goes my 100% mark-up!
I keep a special (really! =just for this purpose) piston style grease gun.

John

OK, what Kevin said.

KevinR wrote:

You obviously don't have a workshop manual !!!!

Yep I have a manual and I am aware of the hole.
The hole is closed with a bolt at this time! However I have no oil gun (if there is any thing like a oil gun?) I  only have a grease gun. Is there a special tool? I can't see pouring the oil in the hole!

Rob

tiggrr1 wrote:
Just took my GT6 out for a road test to check/bed in my brakes after polybushing the front end of the car.

There does not seem to be too much damage at first look (underside may be a bit scraped though)

Pics to follow.

You where luck! Nice looking car
I had it happen years ago with a ripe Spitfire and the bonnet fell apart

bobyspit wrote:
However I have no oil gun (if there is any thing like a oil gun?) I  only have a grease gun. Is there a special tool? I can't see pouring the oil in the hole!

This is the dogs danglies of oil guns http://www.cromwell.co.uk/CTL5404515R
But look at the price !

It is similar to the wanner grease gun, but some of the internal fittings are slightly different so that it can pump oil better than a grease gun.  A new Wanner grease gun costs aboout the same as the oil gun, but you can usually get a 2nd hand wanner grease gun for about £10 (autojumbles and ebay) and then use it to pump oil instead of grease.  Cheap grease guns just dont cut the mustard when trying to pump oil.  I believe that the TSSC oil gun is about 1/3rd the price of the Wanner one I have linked to

bobyspit wrote:

It should attach and pump the oil for you at that price :)

Thanks Kevin ;)

Halfords do a fairly similar 'looking' gun for about £15-20.  I have 2 - one used for grease and the other for oil.  Works just fine with oil.

Also have replaced the blanking bolt on the upright with grease nipples - every time I have the front in the air I give the trunnions a squirt or two.

705 wrote:
I noticed you had the same problem with the number plate. Where to stick it when a spoiler is fitted. Wherever you put it it doesn't look right.

You must be refering to my black a silver go faster air scoop ;)

Yeah I know it looks all wrong but I wanted the radiator to get full air flow.

I tried my number plate higher and left gap for air to flow but first long run........ whoooosh , steam everywhere. I raised it higher still but hits bonnet when open. I'd like to stick them to bonnet but illegal. Might just take off spoiler as dosen't seem to affect performance.

Archived