Rear trunnion: grease or not?

CharlieB

Should you grease the rear trunnion & if so what with? Obviously they're nylon on steel.

One of mine has worn out very quickly although on taking it apart the steel tube does seem a bit rough.

Do the current ones vary in quality I've just ordered a pair from Paddocks?

CharlieB wrote:
Do the current ones vary in quality I've just ordered a pair from Paddocks?

I have to say I'm not altogether happy with the machining on those I've had in recent times. The plastic is usually OK, I intend to have a word with my tame machinist to see what it would cost to get some decent tubes made.
Grease the tubes with copperslip or similar on initial assembly, not so much for lubrication but as an insurance policy for nest time you have to dismantle it! Make sure you get plenty between the bolt and steel tube,
Cheers,
Bill.

Yes, I think so although the tube feels rough & has a bit of a burr on one end. I'll stick a mic on it later, d'you know what the diameter should be?

Superflex do a poly version but I don't see why it would be any better than standard.

CharlieB wrote:
Superflex do a poly version but I don't see why it would be any better than standard.

Very strange, I don't see why they would want to make the bush softer than standard.
If the tube's outer surface is uneven then it will wear the plastic at an increased rate.
Cheers,
Bill.

Archived