robche

Hi all

So - failed MOT on worn trunnion bushes. Bought some new trunnions and bush kits but need some advice please. I thought I may as well replace the trunnion, inspect the upright etc while I was there. I'm new to Triumphs...

1) Do I really need to remove the whole hub assembly to remove the trunnion?

2) Manual says zinc grease for assembly, any alternatives? (I don't have it and neither does local motor factor)

Any advice appreciated!
Rob

(PS: I did a search of the tech section for 'trunnion' and it brought back no results... that can't right?)

Hi Rob,
           there is a 'white' grease that is water proof. Most other greases will allow moisture in including 'copperslop' (I like that name)

If the front hub assembly hasn't been apart for quite some time it may well be worth the extra work to take it all apart and see what else needs doing.
It really isn't that much extra work. Having said that I have A TR not a Herald.
Again not being familiar with the herald if it is like the TR - inspect the bottom of the vertical link that fits into the TRunion for corrosion. If it is corroded/pitted it would need changing

Roger

Thanks Roger - I have a front end rebuild planned but trying to get the trunnion changed for the MOT.

I'll just strip it down, I may as well get it sorted properly!

I have found some white zinc grease on Amazon but I'm sure any water repellant grease will be fine. As you say, it's more of a barrier than a lubricant that's needed.

Cheers all!
Rob

Rob - to answer your question, to unscrew the trunnion you have to take the hub/brake disc assembly off first; there's not enough room to allow the trunnion to turn through 360deg otherwise.

Quickest job if you are in a hurry is to remove the brake caliper, wheel hub centre dust cap, split pin, castellated nut, pull off the hub/disc while holding the outer bearing in place within the hub with your thumb and place hub and disc on a clean surface. Pull back the disc shield a bit (or take it off) and unscrew trunnion. Reverse the process to put it back together, making sure you torque things up properly and adjust the wheel bearing correctly.

The better way to do it is as described by others, checking and renewing/adjusting things properly as you go.

• 2 weeks later...

Tighten the castellated nut up tight. Back off until you just have a tiny amount of rock. It needs to be tiny. When the wheel is fitted it still wants to be tiny (mm or 2 at the tyre edge).
I have found with new bearings a recheck is best after a short drive, and being paranoid, again after another drive out or 2. Sometimes they need tightening up a touch, sometimes not.

Quoted from cliftyhanger
Tighten the castellated nut up tight. Back off until you just have a tiny amount of rock. It needs to be tiny. When the wheel is fitted it still wants to be tiny (mm or 2 at the tyre edge).
I have found with new bearings a recheck is best after a short drive, and being paranoid, again after another drive out or 2. Sometimes they need tightening up a touch, sometimes not.

Great, thanks. That sounds doable - as tight as it will go without binding then or should there be a bit of rock?

There should be a very tiny bit of rock. I think the workshop manual says to tighten to a (fairly low) torque then back off a flat or two. Essentially I usually do them up "finger tight" (about at tight as I can go with just the socket, no bar), at which point the hub will be a little reluctant to turn, then back off one flat plus or minus enough to get the split pin through.

To clarify, I basically overtighten the bearing to make sure it is seated right down, then back off as Rob says. Do not tighten up with a long bar etc and you will probably damage something. I use a 3/8 ratchet. usually, but have a "feel" for things. Usually.

Quoted from robche
Mangled this in the process though... How the hell are they meant to come off?

I put a small wood screw in the hole - I can't remember know whether I tightened it so that it pushed against the end of the stub axle, or whether I just used it to grip the cap and pulled it with mole grips (it was a while ago now).