Winter Development 

65redspit

Each winter we try to develop Ziggi, our '65 Spitfire.

This year the 10CR gave us a perfect 7 day platform to understand what we should be focussing on...

Arriving home we have now listed & prioritised the tasks & realised it has set us up for the next TWO winters' development!

Hey ho, I guess the gearbox is coming out yet again then 🤪

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, AndyA said:

What’s on the list, mate? 

Cure Vibration - balance wheels, rebuild overdrive

Gear change - change selector forks

Clutch upgrade (not competition but stronger diaphragm)

Steering column bracket

New pop off Steering wheel boss

Windscreen wipers (new ones no good!)

All 4 wheel bearings

Heat protection gearbox tunnel

Heat shield carbs

Fuse for spots

Bolts top of gearbox tunnel brace

Waterproofing for hardtop

Passenger door glass and weather seals

Roof vent to let heat out of the cockpit

Touch up sills and add helicopter tape

1 hour ago, Adrianb said:

I’ve lived a sheltered life! So what’s Helicopter Tape?! Do you need Sky Hooks to attach it!

Abrasion resistant polyurethane. Apparently added to helicopter rotor blades for protection from grit and crud. 

Closer to earth, often seen on the top surface of the chain stays of mountain bikes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 65redspit said:

balance wheels, rebuild overdrive […] Steering column bracket […] All 4 wheel bearings

Sounds like a lot of your list is stopping things from wobbling, getting too hot, getting too wet.

We came away from RBRR23 with a similar list. Remembered much of this (and our failure to do any of it) within the first hour of 10CR. 🙂

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, AndyA said:

Sounds like a lot of your list is stopping things from wobbling, getting too hot, getting too wet.

We came away from RBRR23 with a similar list. Remembered much of this (and our failure to do any of it) within the first hour of 10CR. 🙂

lol 😂 that's my fear for us come the next 10CR !!!!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, AndyA said:

Abrasion resistant polyurethane. Apparently added to helicopter rotor blades for protection from grit and crud. 

Closer to earth, often seen on the top surface of the chain stays of mountain bikes. 

Exactly and we keep chipping the sills with the seat belt buckles... so touch them up and apply helicopter tape to stop the chipping in the future...

• Like 2

It really is a pretty looking car.

That is a good list:

My thoughts in bold:

Cure Vibration - balance wheels, rebuild overdrive: Check Propshaft 

Gear change - change selector forks: If changing as the gearchange is not precise, maybe first off change the gear lever bushing kit

Clutch upgrade (not competition but stronger diaphragm): 

Steering column bracket

All 4 wheel bearings: Fit quality bearings: Timken, SKF etc Check source before buying.

Heat protection gearbox tunnel: 

Heat shield carbs: Canleys do these: https://www.canleyclassics.com/?product=carburettor-heat-shields

Fuse for spots: If the wiring loom if the original one, do think about renewing the whole loom: https://www.autosparks.co.uk/finder/car/triumph/spitfire They will also modify to add extra circuits for spots etc etc

Bolts top of gearbox tunnel brace: Essential

Roof vent to let heat out of the cockpit: Mini van types were fitted to Big Healeys, would look good on a 'bubble top' roof.

Good luck with it all,

Tim

7 hours ago, Tim Bancroft said:

It really is a pretty looking car.

That is a good list:

My thoughts in bold:

Cure Vibration - balance wheels, rebuild overdrive: Check Propshaft 

Gear change - change selector forks: If changing as the gearchange is not precise, maybe first off change the gear lever bushing kit

Clutch upgrade (not competition but stronger diaphragm): 

Steering column bracket

All 4 wheel bearings: Fit quality bearings: Timken, SKF etc Check source before buying.

Heat protection gearbox tunnel: 

Heat shield carbs: Canleys do these: https://www.canleyclassics.com/?product=carburettor-heat-shields

Fuse for spots: If the wiring loom if the original one, do think about renewing the whole loom: https://www.autosparks.co.uk/finder/car/triumph/spitfire They will also modify to add extra circuits for spots etc etc

Bolts top of gearbox tunnel brace: Essential

Roof vent to let heat out of the cockpit: Mini van types were fitted to Big Healeys, would look good on a 'bubble top' roof.

Good luck with it all,

Tim

Thanks Tim :0))

frustratingly I've had the propshaft balanced twice - first time the weights came off on the track, second time they ground it to balance it

I've changed the bushing kit, it catches changing down into second so I think it's wear in the top of selector where it meets the ball of the shift lever (but I'm not sure)

Good bearing tips, thank you 🙏 

Thanks also for the Canley tip re heat shields 👍🏻

I've changed the loom but stole the fuse for the spots to run the air horns (I know daft but it genuinely is just a missing fuse, I used up all my spares while diagnosing a fault on another car 🙈)

Thank you for taking time to make the suggestions, really appreciated 😊

16 minutes ago, Tim Bancroft said:

I had a Mk2 Spitfire a couple of years ago and really loved the little car...very under-rated.

Yours looks brill when queueing up for the ferry.

Thank you 🤩 we bought her for a banger rally fell in love with her and every winter we try and improve her ... given she is an 1147 I thought she dealt with the 10CR really well

• Like 2

I can fully recommend Shelley props in Wolverhampton,  they’re spot on and been in business for years.  I used to go there in the 80’s  when I worked for GKN Autoparts.  They were recently used by Mike brewer on wheeler dealers and by fuzz Townsend on car sos they are highly thought of and know classic cars 

Edited by Wendy Dawes

3 hours ago, Wendy Dawes said:

They were recently used by Mike brewer on wheeler dealers and by fuzz Townsend on car sos they are highly thought of and know classic cars 

Blimey Wendy, this will sound flippant, but their use, is that a recommendation...bet they stried to strike up a deal!!!!

Small chassis cars are very sensitive to propshaft balance. I have NEVER EVER had a propshaft for any of my cars (from any supplier) that didn’t vibrate on the car until I’d done an on-car balance. Especially Herald/Vitesse.  Unfortunately this has just happened again with one my son has had made for his 1600 twin-cam Spit, so we’ll have to balance that on the car as well.

20 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Small chassis cars are very sensitive to propshaft balance. I have NEVER EVER had a propshaft for any of my cars (from any supplier) that didn’t vibrate on the car until I’d done an on-car balance. Especially Herald/Vitesse.  Unfortunately this has just happened again with one my son has had made for his 1600 twin-cam Spit, so we’ll have to balance that on the car as well.

That's very interesting Nick, where do you go to get this done please?

6 hours ago, 65redspit said:

Great, thanks, he did our propshaft originally, charged us £600, made it better but unfortunately didn't cure it ...

Just re-read my reply - poor punctuation:

"Great, thanks" (was NOT meant sarcastically, I was genuinely saying thank you for the info)

• Like 1

I used Feltham Props for a custom prop on my 2.5 CV shaft Vitesse, smaller tube but 100mm flanges to take the torque. Excellent service at a good price.

For Tims benefit, Feltham props are now part of Bailey Morris.

Steve

1 hour ago, Steve P said:

I used Feltham Props for a custom prop on my 2.5 CV shaft Vitesse, smaller tube but 100mm flanges to take the torque. Excellent service at a good price.

For Tims benefit, Feltham props are now part of Bailey Morris.

Steve

Is that Propshaft Services? They did the same for us when we upgraded to overdrive ... they balanced it without weights too, so I'm fairly certain it's not the prop but the idea of balancing it all on the vehicle with the wheels does make sense ...