G8HSV

Hi

Rear trunnions on the right rear was seized...I have removed both sides.  I loosened both trunnion nuts OK so I decided to renew the U/J's  (which I had) and do the trunnions when the parts arrived.  U/J's replaced no problem (one was 'ticking')

Now onto the trunnions...nuts loosened and the bolt will rotate but is very stiff.  I have tried a heavy hammer on the loosened nut (I have new ones), I have tried in a 6" metal vice, with a 2ft steel extension on the handle, to try to press out the bolt but it remains stuck...it still rotates.  Plenty of release oil applied too, and left under tension for a couple of days.   Now it is only being held in place by the nylon inserts?  but still refused to move.

Any suggestions here, please.

The kit I now have is different to the one I have fitted ....original 1961 Herald Saloon...see pic...seems they fitted a better sealing system ...anyone know when?

Thanks

S

I had the same problem only 2 weeks ago. One side slid straight out whilst the other would turn but not move in/out as the sleeve had seized onto the bolt.

I resorted to using a reciprocal saw (purchased to solve same problem with the rear diff bolts) to cut the bolt either side of the trunnion.

Chris

3459 wrote:

I resorted to using a reciprocal saw (purchased to solve same problem with the rear diff bolts) to cut the bolt either side of the trunnion.

Chris

I had this idea...but the rest of the bolt may still be stuckin the hub?   I still cant understand why it is so stubborn.

Its not stuck on the vertical link...this moves freely now.

I was going to try heat to melt the bushes ...I did this on the rotoflex on the Vitesse a couple of years agp.....but the bearing is fine and I dont really want to want to have to replace this too!

Drill thru the trunnion, 1/2 way and put  penetrating oil in.
the bolt will be stuck to the sleeve. so need to drill thru that too.
its the sleeve that is stopping it coming thru the trunnion.

after you got it out, you can put a grease nipple in, and give it a squirt noo and then to stop it dooing it agen.

The bolt runs through a steel sleeve, which in turn sits within the plastic bushes.
The bolt is rusted solid to the sleeve, you will need to cut down between the vertical link and trunnion, through the bolt and sleeve as when seized like this, they aren't going to seperate any other way.

You will end up cutting through the flange of the plastic bush before getting to the sleeve or bolt. The trick is to get a hacksaw blade between the two metal surfaces without damage. If you spread the link slightly and have a steady hand, it is possible to get an ultra-thin cutting disc down there,

Cheers,
Bill.

Thanks for the info Bill.

I cut the bolts at each end with a hacksaw so now I need to put the new trunnion fittings in.

The early seals are as shown in the first pic and I have a different set of seals to fit...I presume the design was changed for a better sealing?  Have I got these in the correct order... I have nothing to compare with!

Steve

I'm about to do this wretched sawing job on my Spit, Steve and it seems to me the exploded diagrams on our friends at Canleys web site are pretty good to refer to if you're still in doubt. If the composition of your kit seems to vary from "original", have a look at the Spitfire ones too. Aye aye.

1863 wrote:
Have I got these in the correct order... I have nothing to compare with!

More or less.
Install the plastic bush in the trunnion, trapping the metal disc with the larger hole between. The rubber ring then needs to go around the outside of the plastic flange - they were originally made with a square cross section, which made them a lot easier to keep in place.
The other disc goes over the top, the whole lot held together between the legs of the vertical link with the bolt through.

Cheers,
Bill.

Marvellous Bill, thanks!
(Hmmm, I've put the comma in the wrong place there, I think. And it probably should say "Marvellous, Bill. Thanks!" But I think it works.)
Now I'm off to get a life. Oh, but I  have to remove t'other trunnion first - the car's like a dog on three legs.

Archived