Rear trunnions.....

BrendanD

Loose again after only two years, so decided to have a go at fixing them myself.
Up on axle stands, definitely a lot of play, which accounts for the knocking noise from the rear on moderate braking.
Radius arm of, no problem.
No problem getting one out, but could I get the new one back in.....
I slackened off the top bolt on the spring and the shock absorber, and tried to lever the rear wishbones apart a bit, but I just couldn't get the damn thing over the shoulder where the machined faces for the trunnion are.
In the end I got it in without the outer dust shields. Its nice and tight, but hardly ideal.
Short of removing the whole rear suspension (and then bleeding brakes etc etc...), is there any trick to this?

Hi Brendan :)

I replaced the rear trunnion bushes etc on my GT6 this year as part of a refurb on the rear suspension.  By the sounds of it, I came across the exact same problem as you - even with spreading the vertical link a bit it was a VERY tight fit over the trunnion.  I came to the conclusion that it was the  metal washer and dust cap were too thick from the trunnion bush kit i first bought.  Comparing the original items fitted, there was a noticable thinkness difference between old and new metal items.  I finally found a suitable source on ebay would you believe it, as the usual suppliers seems to sell the thicker sized metal washer and dust cap with the kits.

Andrew

Archived