ferny

Sorry , link no longer available got me thinking about the calipers on the 2000. I've got some mk2 ones and discs to go on it but it all needs rebuilding. When it comes to painting them, what do you guys use? In the past I've tried two types of exhaust paint (on exhausts), both times it's come off and was useless - the red manifold paint went white first so it wasn't an application error. Those exhaust paints also need heat to cure them. Marcus recommends metal enamel paint for the engine, so I'm wondering if that'd be a good route to go down for the calipers. Anyone tried it? I've got some lovely white paint I could use...

Pete, I used hammerite many many years ago on my Vitesse callipers (it was OK paint back then) and it lasted really well. ie never got repainted in 15 years. So not convinced you need anything very special.
However, there are calliper paint kits about, have a nose though ebay. I know you are a tart so probably want lurid Kawasaki green or Pimp red  ;)

I think the Hammerite paint today is a poor reflection on the stuff originally formulated. Rubbish stuff, not worth the money.
You need a mildly heat resistant paint that is not affected by brake fluid. A good two pack would work or an acrylic with two pack lacquer/top coat.

Roger

I used standard engine paint on my Ford truck about 25 years ago and it's still in really good shape. It's dirty, a bit greasy looking, but has not a single chip or burn/peel or heat discoloration that I can see.
Well, I suppose a mild fading could be considered heat fade, but all in all it's been good stuff.
I want to say it's Duplicolor's ceramic-infused engine enamel, but I don't think that particular type has been around that long. It was something similar though.

I do seem to remember using a primer at least, but otherwise just cleaned and painted.
I do have dedicated caliper paint sitting on the shelf though, waiting for the right application, but never felt it was the only way to go.

Paul

Nope not enamel  Mr Fern but ordinary Trade pent.
go git some Johnstons PO red  gloss.  { Post Office Red }

all this crap aboot  caliper pent,which costs a fortune. brake calipers never get hot, not even warm on most cars.
just mek sure you got all the crap off,or it wont stick

Note, best to give a few thin coats,as opposed to yan thick,n as RED pent is dire at covering,
and it always goes thin on edges.
best to spray if ye got a wee gun. then give  one thick  [ undiluted ] coat for protection. AFTER
the others have dried, or it will crinkle, leave in sun, that gets a good heat up

M

Archived