brake caliper re-seal

WIMPUS

Hi you all,

i've seen many times on here about how to re-seal the calipers on a spitfire/gt6, but i want to do it to my friend his MGB calipers (i know it's a mg  :B  :o ).

Got the pistons out, but they have a few rust spots, so he will need new ones (the 1 wall of the shed was a bit full of brake oil  ;D).
I think to fit the new pistons you need special grease also ?
And what to look out for & co again ?  :)

8266 wrote:
id get new pistons to be on the safe side, you dont want them jamming. also are the bores ok? if lightly corroded clean them with 1000 grit wet/dry paper. you can get brake grease or use a thin smear of brake fluid to lubricate seals and things.

I was planning already to get new pistons , just to be safe !
On the inside they look like new after all the gunk was flushed/cleaned out  ;)

Got the seals out , they where rusted in  :P

on the inside they seem to be ok.
On the one picture it seems that i had rust inside, but it isn't  :)

I've cleaned up the inside where the seals go with very fine sandpaper, so the rust is away  ;)

4526 wrote:
And should i split the calipers for the o-ring inside ?  :)

If not leaking I'd leave them alone.  Those Lockheed calipers (similar to 2000/2500/Stag) always have rusty pistons because the stupid design of the dust seals means that the pistons surfaces increasingly are exposed to the elements as the pads wear.  Much prefer the Girling design.....

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:

If not leaking I'd leave them alone.  Those Lockheed calipers (similar to 2000/2500/Stag) always have rusty pistons because the stupid design of the dust seals means that the pistons surfaces increasingly are exposed to the elements as the pads wear.  Much prefer the Girling design.....

Nick

Just ordered everything ! And i'm not going to split the calipers .. will see if they leak .
I hope now the master cilinder is still good, been looking for a seal kit because it's a dual/tandem and only used on american models ..

As said above, just smear the piston seal with a little brake fluid when your fitting the new ones.

I agree, don't split the caliper if it's not leaking.

Don't know if I should talk to you now your working on an M.G!  :P :P

It's good for your experience Wim, don't forget to charge him a drink or two for the work!

4058 wrote:
As said above, just smear the piston seal with a little brake fluid when your fitting the new ones.

I agree, don't split the caliper if it's not leaking.

Don't know if I should talk to you now your working on an M.G!  :P :P

It's good for your experience Wim, don't forget to charge him a drink or two for the work!

Well now i learn it so i can do it good on the Triumph (a proper car !)  ;D

All the parts are ordered for a big brake overhaul on the car  :o
And he always get's drinks and food while we are working, so no complaining about that  ;)

Don't use brake grease in the assembly of the pistons and seals - it is not meant for that but to use as a light smear inside the rubber boots to help keep then supple and assist fitting.  

Assemble the seal and pistons as has been said already using brake fluid - plenty of it, I always soak the seals for 5 - 10 miutes in fluid before fitting.  Clean everything thoroughly with meths or proper brake cleaner before assembly.  

MUT

The confusing thing is Ted that some products are made for lubricating seals and at least one was called "grease" so could be loosely referred to as "brake grease".

e.g. PBR , the brake section of REPCO in Australia, made "PBR RUBBER GREASE" for assembling internal brake parts.
This is not a "grease" in the normal use of the word and is in fact completely water soluble on testing, so probably just dissolves in brake fluid.
The tube I have is pre-silicone so not sure if it can be used with silicone fluids or if this product is still available, but maybe there are similar products still available.
I have heard this product referred to as "brake grease" by mechanics.

Mal.

I have a tub of "rubber grease" which I use on cylinder seals, it is red in colour and is designed for brake/clutch cylinder seals.
A good few years ago when buying seal kits for clutch cylinders for the trucks at work you used to get a small sachet of the stuff in with the seal kit, that was with genuine AP Lockheed Girling kits.

Quick google search
http://www.redrubbergrease.com/
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9014109&contentId=7027101

I've got a tin of the Lockheed red rubber grease and do use it when assembling calipers, master cylinders and slave cylinders.

However, you do need to be 100% sure that any grease used is the proper, EPDM rubber compatible stuff though.  If in doubt, stick to brake fluid only!

Nick

Today when i finished some work on the spit a courier van stopped with the mg parts, so i could start on the calipers !

Everything went well for my first time doing this, tested them with compressed air and they worked (even sprayed a bit of water around the piston/seals and no leaks of air).

Will see now when the paint is dry and when me friend has time to help me install everything back ;)

After these comments, because my advice was based upon the rebuild instructions of some many years ago I have done a bit of research into the use of the red Lockheed brake lube.

I stand corrected over not using it during assembly but the point that I found being made in my research was that it was safe in contact with brake fluid, use it to ease seals in place, BUT that its use should be limited to a very thin smear and primarily to protect surfaces during storage.

Personally I will stick with my trusted technique of assembling with brake fluid and use the grease to help fit the boot and because it helps to keep it supple, mainly because I rebuild brake components and then put them into immediate use.

MUT