13/60 Engine running very rich

Steve J

Hi folks, I have a Moss Malvern kit car using a Herald 13/60 engine with Stromberg 150 carb. There is a problem with the engine running way too rich. The plugs are all sooted up after just a few minutes and not surprisingly the exhaust is pretty smoky too. I've checked the needle valve in the float chamber is shutting off the fuel correctly and the choke mechanism is actuating (at least the external mechanism is moving with the choke control). I've also checked the carb diaphragm is intact and seated correctly. Is there anything else that I should be looking at? This is how the car came to me and I believe it has been standing a while, although the previous owner did somehow get an M.o.T. on it not long ago. Incidentally the plugs are fancy Accuspark jobs and look new.

rich2.jpg

rich1.jpg

Hi Steve

You should be able to weaken the mixture of the Stromberg Carburettor by the adjustment screw in the middle of the float chamber underneath if it's a standard CD150 Carb as originally fitted to the Herald.

I would screw it inwards (Clockwise when viewed from underneath) say one full turn and then take it for a run for a few miles and see if the plug colours improved to a golden brown colour?

Also, it is worth checking the jet needle is correctly centred, with the air filter removed, does the piston raise/drop smoothly after raising with your finger?

Gary 

Edited by garyf

yes just to expand on Garys description, the piston should push up with resistance (as long as youve got the damper rod screwed in of course) and then drop smartly with a nice clonk as it hits the bottom bridge👍

• 3 weeks later...

Back on to this again and I have admit it's got me beat! Weakening the mixture has made no difference to the plugs sooting. After just a couple of minutes running generally two are dry and sooty and two are wet and black. The engine is very difficult to start either with or without choke, often just 'catching' enough to disengage the starter and it also gives the occasional blow-back (with smoke) through the carb. Miraculously I did manage to get it running and idling yesterday for several minutes, but the engine shakes when revved as if it were running on three cylinders and then wouldn't re-start (probably fouled plugs again). The odd thing is that whilst it was running, raising the spring-loaded pin on the carb causes the revs to drop and the engine to begin to stall, which I believe means the mixture is too weak. The dashpot oil is topped up, the carb diaphragm is intact and the needle appears in good fettle. The piston raises smoothly against the damping and drops with a 'clack'. I've had the rocker cover off and there are no stuck valves. I'm getting quite despondent!

I think you should check the valve timing. With the engine at tdc and rota pointing to no1. Valves 7&8 should be on the rock. ie equal gap. First adjust 7&8to about 70 thou. Then get engine at tdc and measure 7&8. Doesn't matter what they read but they must be equal. 

It could be previous owner set the cam wrong or the timing chain has jumped a tooth or two. 

Danny

Posted (edited)

In a moment of (possible) inspiration, I'm wondering about the aftermarket Accuspark plugs which were fitted by a previous owner... If they are of a type that possibly have a higher internal resistance than standard plugs, I would guess that could account for a weak spark and resultant poor combustion, causing them to foul up and give a similar appearance to rich running, despite the carb being set to run lean. Accuspark make electronic ignition conversion kits (which my car doesn't have) and I wonder if the plugs are designed to work with that set-up rather than an old-fashioned coil and points. I've ordered a set of standard N9YC plugs to see how that changes things. I may be completely wrong but it's worth a try!

Edited by Steve J
  • Like 1

I had a vehicle that used to do this (not a Herald, but the same sort of age and technology type). The issue was a few things; ignition timing was out, wrong plugs fitted, engine was leaking a bit of oil into the cylinders. Not a lot, but a bit that was gradually burning and coking the plugs up.

Also, the coil was on the way out.

I'm not saying this is your problem specifically, but a few pointers that sooting plugs isn't always mixture related if other things are preventing a good ignition cycle.

Right then, a compression test reads a consistent 120 across all four cylinders, so at least they are even.

More importantly, I discovered this afternoon that the ignition coil was connected the wrong way round. Now that certainly won't help matters! I also found that there's a lot of nasty white corrosion in the king-lead socket on the coil. I'm surprised I was getting any spark at all. New coil on order and we'll see how things go from there.

Edited by Steve J

Sorry could you do the compression again but wet ie. with a cap full of oil down the bores to see if the readings are improved by better sealing of the rings? Also it would be interesting to see what the tester shows on another vehicle if youve got one to hand... 

And yes all these issues do add up👍

Well, I'm very relieved to report that having renewed the coil (ensuring it's connected the right way round!) and fitting a new set of standard spark plugs the engine miraculously now starts and idles pretty well. I've also treated it to new HT leads, distributor cap, points and condenser. The fuel mixture seems to be about right as pushing the pin on the Stromberg carb causes the revs to rise and then settle back. No doubt it will need some fine tuning, but it seems to rev cleanly from idle with no hesitation. I had it running for about 15 minutes today and was able to engage gears and move the car backwards and forwards on the drive. The exhaust is still rather smoky (grey) but I'm hoping a bit of use might improve matters as the car hasn't been on the road for some years and probably needs the cobwebs blowing out. Next step is to get it taxed and insured and take it for a cautious test drive...

Edited by Steve J
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Steve J said:

Well, I'm very relieved to report that having renewed the coil (ensuring it's connected the right way round!) and fitting a new set of standard spark plugs the engine miraculously now starts and idles pretty well. I've also treated it to new HT leads, distributor cap, points and condenser. The fuel mixture seems to be about right as pushing the pin on the Stromberg carb causes the revs to rise and then settle back. No doubt it will need some fine tuning, but it seems to rev cleanly from idle with no hesitation. I had it running for about 15 minutes today and was able to engage gears and move the car backwards and forwards on the drive. The exhaust is still rather smoky (grey) but I'm hoping a bit of use might improve matters as the car hasn't been on the road for some years and probably needs the cobwebs blowing out. Next step is to get it taxed and insured and take it for a cautious test drive...

Brill - well done you !!! 💪💪