• 3 weeks later...

It is only that unpleasant little man in London who is really pushing for ppm, so OK for a while.

It will be impossible to introduce it retrospectively, new cars are undoubtedly setup for it already as they are all internet connected, but no chance for anything older, so they will have to legislate our cars off the road if they want only ppm vehicles on road. Not sure any government could push that through.

it will be other factors that curtail the RBRR, most likely everyone getting too old and not enough youngsters filling the gaps.

1 hour ago, Brian Ridley-Jones said:

If the current Government Introduce one of the mooted tax changes of pay per mile (unless it is for Electric vehicles only) I suspect we could see the end of the RBRR.

I agree with Colin it’s very unlikely to happen. Unless you force everyone to have trackers and they are not perfect I know I have one in my company car, the only other way you can do it is by a mass rollout of ANPR cameras on every road. The infrastructure cost would be prohibitive.

As for Electric vehicles they are getting to the point now where the government is going to be losing to much revenue by not charging them. As of April next year they will have to pay road tax from day one £10 for the first year then year two onwards the full amount and as most of them cost over 40k thats £600.

Really?    When every car records it's mileage, and that is noted at every MoT?   Sure, you can  diddle the a mechanical milometer but they are all electronic now.     Pay per mile would be just a matter of linking to the MoT database, and perhaps a single payment after the first three years.   You would have to have the milometer read and pay the charge if you sold it early, but any MoT station could do that.

As to the actual charges - quote from  BBC's Top Gear web page, Feb 2024: "In New Zealand, drivers pay road user charges (RUC). It's structured as a fixed price-per-1000km-driven and there are different rates for different vehicle types. For example, a regular passenger car pays $76/1000km (£36), whereas a plug-in petrol car only pays $38/1000km (£18). Your typical artic lorry costs $389/1000km (£184)."  But that's Kilometres  = 621miles!  So for 1000m the charge for a non-hybrid would be £58.

The RBRR (or the 10CR) would get more expensive, but would £116 for 2000 miles be prohibitively so?   When the fuel to do an RBRR costs about £700? (2000m at 25mpg)

And for 'normal' use, the average annual mileage for UK vehicles is about 7K, so £406 a  year?   

John

Edited by JohnD

If ppm was introduced somehow for classic cars, it would simply be another cost to factor into entering events like the RBRR. Fuel is the highest single cost.

You can't take the money with you when you go, and the current UK government seems hell bent on taxing any money you do leave behind (IHT). So spend it on something you enjoy doing, otherwise they will nick it and waste it on something pointless!

Bruce

Stuart, you persistently miss the point!   Which in this case is that there is a network of over 23,000 MoT stations, throughout the UK, all connected to a central database, to record the annual mileage of every modern.     You fail to point out that as well as an MoT not being required, classics don't pay an annual Road Traffic Act charge either.      There are a bit over such 300,000 classics in the UK, among over 33 MILLION cars.  So, they are a tiny minority of less than 10%, that the Gov aren't likely to worry about.  Numbers are so much more effective arguments than opinion!

John

5 hours ago, JohnD said:

Stuart, you persistently miss the point!   Which in this case is that there is a network of over 23,000 MoT stations, throughout the UK, all connected to a central database, to record the annual mileage of every modern.     You fail to point out that as well as an MoT not being required, classics don't pay an annual Road Traffic Act charge either.      There are a bit over such 300,000 classics in the UK, among over 33 MILLION cars.  So, they are a tiny minority of less than 10%, that the Gov aren't likely to worry about.  Numbers are so much more effective arguments than opinion!

John

Yes but this topic is about the RBRR which is for cars that are eligible to be registered as Historic not modern cars.

Debate about modern cars and what may or may not happen regarding road tax should be in a different area of the forum.

I started this topic about what car I was hoping to be using on the RBRR in 2025 with the thought others may reply with what they were hoping to be using.

To say I "persistently miss the point!" Is incorrect. I started the topic about the RBRR then made one other comment about historic cars, that is not persistently.