Brake Disc Fouling Caliper

fullthrottle

I have just converted my 1977 Spitfire 1500 to the Canleys Trunnionless suspension and at the same time renewed the front wheel bearings. Now I am finding that the brake disc is fouling the outer inside edge of the brake caliper on the drivers side. I am struggling to work out what is wrong. I am pretty sure everything is fitted correctly, and I have re checked that the bearings are seated properly. Any suggestions? Could it be a bent stub axle perhaps?

Thanks for your responses guys, I will investigate the felt seal this evening. It was a good deal thicker than the one I took out, though I assumed that the old one had just squashed or worn down over time. As to whether it is the right way round, I'm not sure as the metal part of the seal on the replacement was much thinner and I could not fit it into the hub, so I used the metal part from the old seals with the new felt. The metal part is definitely on the bearing side, I didn't expect there to be a right and wrong way for the felt, so that could be the opposite way round. I will try both ways for the felt, try again with the new metal parts, and if all fails try the old felt seals. I will let you know how I get on.
Andy

Hi FullThrottle,

I have just recently upgraded to the same VL as well.

Curiously I had a similar problem but ended up solving it by re-balancing the bearing and pressing the pistons out of the calipers and refurbishing them cleaning all the grunge out. Admittedly this is a setup with alloy front hubs and beefed up stub axles so slightly different.

Are you sure its not just the bearing end float is out. As people have said is the felt seal cap replaced the right way round (as you used the original one) and nipped the bearings up correctly?

Good luck,
Dicky

9071 wrote:

Curiously I had a similar problem but ended up solving it by re-balancing the bearing and pressing the pistons out of the calipers and refurbishing them cleaning all the grunge out.

Going by the photo this one is hitting the calliper housing rather than the pistons; I’d agree with all those who have posted that the felt seal is stopping the hub from seating fully.

Entirely right Paudman - now I've looked at the picture properly that was an oversight... more haste less speed!

490 wrote:

Going by the photo this one is hitting the calliper housing rather than the pistons; I’d agree with all those who have posted that the felt seal is stopping the hub from seating fully.

Only 3 options as far as I can see....
1. Hub sitting too far out-board relative to upright. Which would suggest something (eg. felt seal as suggested above) behind the hub preventing it going fully home on the stub-axle.
2. Caliper too far inboard - something between the caliper and the up-right that shouldn't be there? (Splash/dist shields?)
3. Relative position of hub and caliper wrong... upright not the right shape/size. I wouldn't think that was a valid option.

Regards,
Sam

Hi Guys,
Unfortunately the felt seal did not make any difference. I was thinking of replacing the stub axles anyway, so that is what I am going to do. Prior to replacing the bearings and the carriers the caliper was a lot closer to the inside of the caliper, so if I have refitted the stub axle 180 degrees out from original, then it would make sense that the disc would be closer to the opposite side of the caliper. I'll let you know what happens once I have replaced the axles.
Thanks,
Andy