What calipers Have i got on my Herald??

MSter

Ok the front calipers on my herald were seized solid after much huffing gruffing pulling apart putting together i managed to eventually get the cylinders out they are pitted and the rubber seals are more like concrete seals now.

My question is, is it worth me completely stripping them down cleaning them up so far as possible (some of the pitting will not be shifted) and seeing how they go or is it easier and safer to buy a reconditioned set?? what sort of price will i pay to either have these recondition or buy a pair of reconditioned??

Also are they a type 14?? my herald is a j reg

if the 2 halves of the calipers are held together with 2 bolts then type 12, 4 bolts type 14. Interchangable I believe.
It is possible to get new pistons and seals from th eusual suppliers, or indeed new calipers.
About £50 for 4 pistons and a seal kit. Recon about £80/pr plus exchange, new £100. all approx etc. You may find cheaper etc etc (I have assumed type 14, which is most likely on that age of car)

Ok i have ventured out to the garage tonight to see if there are 2 or 4 bolts holding thme together there are two at the top (either side of the bleed nipple) and two at the bottom so can i therefore take it thhat they are type 14??

Archived