Stripping Brake Calipers

MSter

Ok so i have now rebuilt both side of my front suspension and its now time to overhaul the brake calipers i have purchased new pistons, rubbers, brake pipes etc.

Now the car hasnt moved on its on for 12 years plus and niether have the brakes the pistons are solid in the calipers can anyone recommend a way to get them out without it being too much of a kurfuffle doesnt matter if i destroy the old pistons but need the calipers for the rebuild??

Also the car is probably going to be 12 months until it is moving again would it be recommended not to refit the brake calipers until its about to go back on the road as i dont want them seizing up before its used??

If off the car, either soak in oil and blow them out with an airline, (one will probably move first so clamp it back in place and blow out the other) or else reconnect your brake hose and either pump out with a brake pedal or else use a grease gun - it will take a lot of pressure though. If on the car just remove the pads and press the pistons out gently with the brake pedal, you can get a lot of pressure before anything else blows. Free them up first by repeatedly pushing them out and in before removing them, once both are moving freely you can press one right back in to let the other out.
It helps to have a screwdriver or other flat lever between the pistons so that when they move you can push them back in again, otherwise they meet half way and you can't do anything with either... a piston spreader is a really good investment.
No real point in fitting the brakes if the car isn't going to move, to be honest I'd rebuild the brakes as close to when the car is going back on the road as possible. That way you get fresh fluid and good seals ready for the road.

Archived