headlights not working

millerlite

4 hours ago, millerlite said:

one problem i just found no headlights all other lights work 

I notice from a previous post you've got an early TR6. What position is the column switch? Assuming it's the same as my Spitfire which is a similar age, top position is sidelights only, middle is high beam & bottom position is low beam.

2 hours ago, Amy Wade said:

I notice from a previous post you've got an early TR6. What position is the column switch? Assuming it's the same as my Spitfire which is a similar age, top position is sidelights only, middle is high beam & bottom position is low beam.

no mine is top off 1 down sidelights 2 down headlights dip/main is floor mounted push button 

• Like 1

First try the wires to the foot switch, blue -main feed should have 12v with headlights on. Could be a cable broken/unplugged or the switch.

If the foot switch is ok, there should be a join in the wires at the front valance; where the feed splits to both headlights. Break out the multimeter and see if you have 12v there. should be 3 sets of cables. Blue/White - Full Beam, Blue/Red - Dip, Black - Ground

If the ground is faulty or coroded then none of them will work. 

2 hours ago, Richard B said:

First try the wires to the foot switch, blue -main feed should have 12v with headlights on. Could be a cable broken/unplugged or the switch.

If the foot switch is ok, there should be a join in the wires at the front valance; where the feed splits to both headlights. Break out the multimeter and see if you have 12v there. should be 3 sets of cables. Blue/White - Full Beam, Blue/Red - Dip, Black - Ground

If the ground is faulty or coroded then none of them will work. 

thank you very helpful will check weekend 

1 hour ago, millerlite said:

yes flashes ok

Great as Richard says theres a power loss somewhere between the column switch and floor switch including the switches themselves. Earth looks ok as flash works👍

• 2 weeks later...

Success! But were there any other connections in the same area that might have suffered as well? How about some preemptive maintenance on those - theres nothing worse than forgetting all about it until you suddenly remember in a few years time just as you find a similar fault in the same area🤣

did look but all the rest looked good , but speedo angle drive now gone bottoms up cheap crap ebay one i think like most are now days, just waiting for them to come in at trgb they're having them make in uk by engineering company and give a two warranty with there's not cheap though