Rear brakes and trunnions?

Stodders

Can anyone help with my rear suspension please?  I am assembling the rear suspension and brakes on my Mk1 2 litre vitesse and have noticed the following issues:

First problem,  when I assembled the rear trunnions I noticed that the centre bushes do not seem to be quite long enough to sit flush with the ends of the plastic inserts.  I always thought that they were meant to do this so that the outer dust caps were clamped between the bush and the vertical link and the bolt could be tightened up fully allowing the whole thing to pivot freely.  I am using a new kit from Canley Classics and it looks like the problem is caused by the dust caps that sit behind the plastic bushes being too thick.. I thought that they were meant to be flimsy thin things.  These ones are about 60 thou thick.  Can anyone tell me what is correct please as I took the car apart 20 years ago and don't have the original parts any more.

Second problem.  When assembling the rear brakes I noticed that the handbrake operating levers (the ones that pivot behind the brake cylinder) are both slightly bent. If I place them  on a flat surface one end is raised by about 2mm.  Were they originally made like this or is it something that happens in use so should I be straightening them?  I suspect that they should be flat as new ones are available and they are not handed.

Thanks

there are after market kits about with excessive /deep seal cups,  have a feeling the tooling is being used for another
younger design and just being  'similar' doesnt mean it fits,  but thats what you get in the bag

rubbish really    you can stick a nut and bolt thro the hole as a mandrill  and with a drill sand/file the lip down to a size to fit

Pete

Archived