Back brakes on my 13/60

Jughead

Hi guys, 2 questions...

Is there a reason why my 1968 13/60 has 5/8" wheel cylinders as opposed to the other size? - i thought the 5/8" was only on earlier models? 1200s/948s etc...

Question 2
Any real good tips/tricks/procedure for putting the new shoes back on... without destroying my fingers etc.. pulling springs tight... I thought there was some easy sequence possibly?'

Thanks in advance

JUG :o

4600 wrote:

Question 2
Any real good tips/tricks/procedure for putting the new shoes back on... without destroying my fingers etc.. pulling springs tight... I thought there was some easy sequence possibly?'

Yes, but I only ever rememebr what it is as I'm about to finish fitting the last set.

A tip I read in the Courier years ago was to Fit the Springs to the Shoes off the car, then use Wooden Wedges where they locate in the shoes to hold them in place.

Then fit to the Car and remove the wedges when everything is in place?

I have tried this method and as long as you get the wedges a nice tight fit it does work  ;)

4600 wrote:
Any real good tips/tricks/procedure for putting the new shoes back on... without destroying my fingers etc.. pulling springs tight...

Fit the bottom spring to both shoes off the car.
Fit the front shoe into it's adjuster slot, the top of the shoe will lean towards you, don't attempt to align this with the cylinder yet.
With the top of the shoe leaning towards the one which is alreadyin place, put tension on the rear shoe to stretch the spring until the bottom will drop into the adjuster.
The shoes will now be leaning in towards one another, but proud of the cylinder.
Fit the top spring between both shoes and keep under tension by holding the shoes apart. While maintaining tension, push the front shoe into place over the handbrake lever.
Now pull the rear shoe back until it clears the back of the cylinder and drops into place. Use a lever (metal to metal only, no force onto the lining) if needed to lift it on at the last stage.

Now proceed with holdown springs, handbrake split pins etc.

Cheers,
Bill.