Plastic master cylinder cap for 12/50 disc brakes.

307e

Trying to get the Gunson's eezibleed universal cap adapter to fit and seal today has practically put me in the nuthouse!!! Anyone got a spare plastic cap for a 12/50 Girling disc brake master cylinder? I can then adapt it to work with the Eezibleed. The Girling aluminum ones do not seem to fit - the thread seems to be more shallow that the plastic version.  The master cylinder is the type with the plastic reservoir. They don't seem to sell the caps separately though.

Or your thoughts if I'm doing something wrong.......

Thanks!!

Steve.

I used an eezi bleed about 25 years ago, the cap seal was not good then, fluid went everywhere!
Then when you try to take it off, the fluid in the pot/tube also goes everywhere.

I threw it away! And never used one again, Now I use a long (2 meter) transparent tube, get one that is a nice snug fit on the bleed nipple, have the tube come directly up, so any air travels upwards, into a plastic container/bottle etc,  and start pumping. The tube is long enough so you can sit it on the bonnet, dash or wherever and you can see it!
When it comes through clean (if renewing fluid) or bubble free if bleeding.
Then shut the nipple and voil!

That is how I have done it for years, and my brake pedals are always good, and i do them alone, (yes it would be quicker with a helper that knows what they are doing, i.e. open when you press, close when you release!) No need to buy expensive useless bits of kit.

I had a similar problem with my old "one man bleeding (?) tube" on a 12/50 based special. In the end I bought a £5.99 jobby from Halfords that comes with a reservoir to hold the discharged brake fluid. :) I removed the rubber sleeve from the end because the pressure needed to force fluid through it was so great that fluid was spewing out of the bleed nipple thread, and then blew the pipe off the nipple. It did require the services of the "management" to pump the pedal, but at least the job got done without fluid going everywhere!

Roger

Easibleeds work well but you must use LOW pressure or they do burst, so let some air out of the spare first, down to around 8-10 psi at most.

I've not used it on the Vitesse, it's unnecessary, but i use it on the Metro which has four pot front calipers with three nipples on each and an elaborate bleeding sequence, where it's pretty much an essential tool and speeds the job up no end.........but remember, LOW pressure or it will be a big mess!!!