MoT advisory on brakes

gfiandy

Hi, Spit passed MOT but tester was a little concerned about how close the brake pipes come to the spring. It was true on both sides but slightly more on the side where I replaced the cylinder and the pipe is slightly twisted after tightening it up.

The pipe bracket seem to point slightly up towards the spring, is this normal?

See photos

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb470/gfiandy/7e40c5d9.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb470/gfiandy/e85126e0.jpg

Is it possible to release the twist in. The pipe without letting air in or am I just going to have to accept bleeding them again.

Are the brackets right, should I twist them down a bit.

Also the tester noticed the spring leaf clamp was a bit loose. Is it just a case of tightening the nut on the end or is there more to it?

Many thanks for any advice,
Andy

As for the clamp, I'd just make sure that the nut is a locking type and in good shape. You shouldn't need to tighten it down so that the u-clamp is pressing hard onto the edges of the leaves, if that's what the inspector was thinking.
If it's just loose, then yes, tighten it until the locking threads hold. If no locking, I'd replace it with a good locker.

From the looks of the hose, I'd try to bend the bracket first. Even if you did manage to re-orient the hose so as to hold it farther from the leaf pack, it looks (from the angle of the pics anyway) like the bracket will always try to point the initial part of the hose towards the spring.
Looks really well built and welded, but I'd try bending it first. Then re-route and bleed if you still need to.

Paul

Yep, loosen off the nut which hold the hose tight in the bracket, and also the nut on the actual brake pipe. Just a little.
Then you can twist the hose to a better angle , tighten into the bracket, then the pipe nut. May not need to re-bleed, but wouldn't take more than a pump or two to clear any air that may have got in.

It may be my imagination, but the hose in the second picture looks too long? I had the same issue on my Estate a couple of years ago, had to cable tie it away. Mot man not impressed. A shorter hose cured the problem...
  That aside, are there different length hoses for the Spits to cover the two driveshaft lengths?

There are also two different lengths for rotoflex cars; this usually means one is far too long for the swing-spring cars. Some suppliers sell the same kit for both types. Make sure the hoses are a matched pair - that hose in the lower photo may be too long?

Archived