Hi all

Im having some issues with my brakes, i can only describe them as sticky, sometimes you have to push a long way and other times they're rock hard.

They also seem to stick sometimes for example when slowing in traffic and then coming to a halt you feel like they pop of slightly, i noticed when i washed it yesturday that the rear drums had siezed (my astra used to do this) so i put it in reverse an they popped unsiezed. Could this be a rear brake issue.

I have uprated my brake hoses to braided ones
renewed the servo
bleed them about a hundred times ha ha
changed the master cylinder
and have adjusted at the rear bakes

any ideas please?

thanks
aidan

Have a look at the actual pedal pivot, they can,and doo seize.
if its seizing,or stiff, it wont let the fluid back inta master cyl.

Ohh have you checked the pistons are no sticking in the fronts.
a coomon  problem if the piston is rusting away

M

junkuser wrote:
Fully overhaul the rear brakes and adjust them as per the book.
Agreed, and I would add to a: make sure the rear linings aren't contaminated, and b: the wheel cylinders are free (i.e., sparingly lubricated where they contact the backplate) to move back and forth as required.

Thanks Andy.
So often you see postings about poor performance of various systems on our cars and suggestions about upgrading, when if the bits are as designed but restored to good working condition they perform very well and very reliably.
These cars are old and most have had work done on them by persons of varying ability, yet people buy them and trust their lives to them without making sure everything is in good working condition.  I find this amazing.

Archived