Vitesse Water Pump

Rutty

Having had the water pump fail on my Vitesse after less than 2 years can anyone recommend a decent make of water pump. Or is it just a case of crap spares so always carry a spare.

I don't want to go the electric pump route.

Mark

They definitely dont like being left for longer periods without use as I think the rubber seal sticks and then tears on first start up although sometimes they will reseal again. That aside some do seem to last better than others but bet theyre all coming from the same manufacturer in India?

There is a uk company that will machine your existing pump to install a modern mechanical seal and ceramic bearings which then are guaranteed for life - not too expensive last time I looked (70quid?) although of course transport has to be added on.... 

35 minutes ago, Steve AKA vitessesteve said:

If you bought the water from a reputable trader I would complain to them first.  A water should last longer than 2 years so it was not of merchantable quality.

Yes I will be going back to TRGB who are local to me, but I don't want to be given another pump that fails in less than 2 years

32 minutes ago, glang said:

They definitely dont like being left for longer periods without use as I think the rubber seal sticks and then tears on first start up

The Vitesse is used all year round so not left for long periods, I first noticed a leak after the coast to coast in June 1100 miles in 28 hours but as you say it resealed it's self. But this time I can wiggle the pump so the bearing has failed.

I think you'll be lucky to get another pump as a year guarantee is most likely. Even then from their point of view you could have run it with the fan belt too tight etc.

If water gets in the bearings from a leaking seal (critical to have drain hole at the bottom of course) it'll finish them off pretty quick which is why I suppose EP Services use ceramic ones....

• Like 1

You could send it to EP services in Wolverhampton, they will recondition it with ceramic bearings and guarantee it for life.  They’re found on Google search, I’ve known them since the early 80’s when I worked as a delivery driver for GKN Autoparts 

Update.

The water pump did only have a 1 year guarantee but it turns out there has been a faulty batch that fails early. It's not known if mine is one of the batch but the manufacturer agreed to replace it.

New pump is now fitted and working fine.

Mark

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rutty said:

Update.

The water pump did only have a 1 year guarantee but it turns out there has been a faulty batch that fails early. It's not known if mine is one of the batch but the manufacturer agreed to replace it.

New pump is now fitted and working fine.

Mark

Good result!

• Like 1