GT6 mk3 auto adjusting rear brakes..

mpbarrett

Hi I am trying to get the automatic adjusting rear brakes to work properly on my late Mk3. I think the hand brake cable had been adjusted to tight so that the adjuster arm would not return far enough to act on the ratchet wheel. I loosened it off but still can get the arm to turn the wheel (its clean and free to move), it clicks but I dont think the adjuster is moving (and the brake pedal goes down a long way).
Just wonder if there any tricks to setting these brakes up?

BTW would prefer manual adjustment...
mike
edited....
***Just had a look at http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff site and now realise my brakes shoes are missing the H plate, I think this will move the hand brakes level so that the actuator arm will act on the wheel... will make some plates and try again....***

To convert the late Mk3 GT6 1.5" x 8" rear brakes to manual adjust (see photo) you will need some Triumph Toledo rear brake backplates, redrill the hub mounting holes and add the return spring bracket. I have kept the H plates as they aid the handbrake lever location on the shoes.
If you require a photo of the original self-adjusters, let me know and I will post one.
My Spitfire stops very well and has a reliable handbrake with those large shoes!

Archived